Beveren for meat

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doulos668

Reaction score
I am about to buy a couple of rabbits to start out.
The ones I am looking at are Beverens.
Pros...cons?
How are they for meat and size? Temperment?

Thanks for any advice

They are large (8-12 lbs), have generally even temperaments (though they can be a bit stubborn - especially the bucks imo). Compared to the other breeds of semi-arch type - Flemish, Giant Chinchilla, America, English Lop - from the ones I've met they are a bit less friendly (but still tame, and easy to handle - and temperament in many cases depends more on the line than the breed, you will have to talk to breeders about that.) They are very rare, and you shouldn't mix varieties very much - though you might want to ask about that if you end up buying some, Im not 100% sure of variety mixing. Though they are large and definitely can be used as a meat rabbit, their dress out ratio and growth rate isn't as good as common commercial breeds like new zealands and californians. I'm not aware of any major health issues with them, and haven't heard anything against their hardiness.

They are a rare breed though - if you haven't already located a breeder, it could be hard for you to find any. If you are just starting in raising meat rabbits, I'd recommend finding new zealand whites or californians - beverens aren't bad, production wise, but it's easier to find good production stock for cheap prices with those two more common breeds. If you already have found a breeder and are looking for an interesting, rare meat breed, beverens could work for you.

Also, if you are looking to show at fairs or in 4-H/FFA in any meat class, beverens will not work for you - the meat rabbit standards look for deep shoulders which beverens, by definition, do not have, so you can't make a competitive meat pen out of them.

Thank you so much! Very helpful.
I have had and grew up with NZW, but this is our first time trying to make a serious go of it.
I do have a be bereven breeder, but I do like the NZW. So many decisions!

Doulos668":1tp9lkmq said:
Thank you so much! Very helpful.
I have had and grew up with NZW, but this is our first time trying to make a serious go of it.
I do have a be bereven breeder, but I do like the NZW. So many decisions!

And so little cage space. :lol:

Back