Litter of One (1)

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Currycad1

Reaction score
My American Blue doe is a first time mother. Her litter was just 1 kit. It is alive and doing well for now. Does this pose any health risks to the doe since only one kit will be nursing or is that something nature takes care of automatically? TIA

It doesn't really pose any health risks to the doe (amount of milk produced depends partially on litter size), but with the baby you want to make sure it is warm, since it has no siblings to cuddle up to, and you need to make sure to keep its nest box full of hay since overfed babies sometimes develop leg problems if they're on slippery surfaces.

You may to check the doe over and make sure that there aren't any more babies in her - one is a small litter for an American.

Plenty of straw and fur in the nesting box and the doe does a good job at keeping the kit covered up. Also, the doe does not seem in distress at all and everything seems normal to us (but we are new at this) I have been reading a lot of posts on Facebook about single kit litters so I am "assuming" the heat has a lot to do with it.

We had a litter of one and knew nothing, and she turned out just fine. There will be information about splayed (I think I spelt that right) legs and pottying the kit (since it has no siblings to do this for it). We picked ours up and pet it a lot, and she was quite the big eater! It was fun to watch!

I've had a litter of one from a Dutch mix doe and a purebred Holland doe. Apparently it is much more common than people realize. :shock: Hehe. :mrgreen: You just have to make sure the kit stays warm enough. ;)

Latest posts

Back