Persistent ear mites

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Miss M":3fwaev21 said:
I didn't know the formula had been changed... and I didn't know it used to have DMSO in it. Are you serious?

JMHO, - the new [changed 20 + years ago, when DMSO was temporarily banned in the US ] formula is very toxic [especially the aerosol ] you should really not use it a lot [in big quantities,] indoors, or around rabbits , and definitely- not on rabbits [who have extra sensitive respiratory systems] and are prone to anaphylactic reactions [and system collapses] The new formula is listed as category one for inhalation / aspiration toxicity ---

Classification – GHS has assigned two categories for aspiration toxicity:
Category 1 – The most severe category and assigned for chemicals known to cause human aspiration toxicity hazards

Health Hazard – Aspiration Hazard
Definition – Aspiration refers to the entry of a liquid or solid chemical directly through the oral or nasal cavity, or indirectly through vomiting, into the trachea and lower respiratory system. Aspiration toxicity includes severe acute effects such as chemical pneumonia, varying degrees of pulmonary injury or death following aspiration.

I had a problem with persistent ear mites and found a very easy, cheap and chemical-free solution to the problem. My rabbits are not the friendliest and holding them down for a good oiling was near impossible. Food grade diatomaceous earth did the trick for me. I take a little in my hand and blow it in their face and ears. Without a doubt, they hate when I do it, but I rid my rabbits of ear mites. They get a dusting at least once a month to make sure I don't have the problem again. It took about two weeks of treatment twice a day before the mites disappeared. I saw a reduction in the number of ear mites within about two days. I continued the treatment for three weeks. This method also gives the cages and surrounding area a dusting in case the mites decide to vacate. Good luck!

Liberator":p8cx44wl said:
I had a problem with persistent ear mites and found a very easy, cheap and chemical-free solution to the problem. My rabbits are not the friendliest and holding them down for a good oiling was near impossible. Food grade diatomaceous earth did the trick for me. I take a little in my hand and blow it in their face and ears. Without a doubt, they hate when I do it, but I rid my rabbits of ear mites. They get a dusting at least once a month to make sure I don't have the problem again. It took about two weeks of treatment twice a day before the mites disappeared. I saw a reduction in the number of ear mites within about two days. I continued the treatment for three weeks. This method also gives the cages and surrounding area a dusting in case the mites decide to vacate. Good luck!

I would be concerned about the dust in the face thing, as rabbits have sensitive respiratory systems--

michaels4gardens":3e1vtayj said:
Liberator":3e1vtayj said:

I would be concerned about the dust in the face thing, as rabbits have sensitive respiratory systems--

They live in the dirt!!! ;)

Liberator":loflem1j said:
michaels4gardens":loflem1j said:
Liberator":loflem1j said:

They live in the dirt!!! ;)
Yes, they live in the dirt, but DE is ground much finer than the size of most dirt. Food-grade DE is a known eye and lung irritant. http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/degen.html

It is perfectly safe, except you should try to keep it out of the eyes and lungs. I am sure that it would work well on ear mites, but blowing it into the face could cause problems.

They live in the dirt!!! ;)[/quote]
Yes, they live in the dirt, but DE is ground much finer than the size of most dirt. Food-grade DE is a known eye and lung irritant. http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/degen.html

It is perfectly safe, except you should try to keep it out of the eyes and lungs. I am sure that it would work well on ear mites, but blowing it into the face could cause problems.[/quote]

Thanks for the information. Based on your link to NPIC, I don't see cause for concern when we use food-grade DE to treat ear mite infestations. I am not forcing the rabbits to inhale DE for an hour per day for a year. It is being used for treatment and prevention. As for DE in the eyes, rabbits are quick to close their eyes just like you and me. If any DE makes it to the eye, the body has a natural response called tearing to expel the irritant. I have noticed NO negative effects and I have NO ear mites. I prefer not to cover my rabbits in poison and torture them by oiling them up. You may even see your rabbits taking a dust bath in the DE that has settled on the nest box. "Could cause problems" ??? There are plenty of things that "could cause problems" in rabbit husbandry. A simple dusting in diatomaceous earth is not one of them.

Liberator":3bi1e022 said:
Food grade diatomaceous earth did the trick for me. I take a little in my hand and blow it in their face and ears. Without a doubt, they hate when I do it, but I rid my rabbits of ear mites. They get a dusting at least once a month to make sure I don't have the problem again.
regardless of how effective you felt the treatment was I recommend you keep DE as far away from a rabbits mucous membranes as possible.

Diatomous earth is tiny sea creatures with silica glass exoskeletons that cut and slice the softer chitin exoskeletons on mites and insects and kills them by dehydration

The fine glass particles will also cut the cornea of the eye causing irritation or pain and a greater chance of infection and will cut the alveoli of the lungs, again causing pain and an increased chance of infection - in addition the body cannot degrade silica and the DE will forever remain in the lungs unless coughed out which rabbits cannot do since they lack a gag reflex

Diatomous Earth may be a more natural pest treatment but that does not mean it is 100% safe. Pyrethrins are a natural extract from the Chrysathamum and one of the most common neurotoxic pesticides

Please cite your sources. To reiterate, we are talking about treatment with DE vs. poisonous compounds for meat rabbits. Silica is found in the soil. The same soil that rabbits burrow into. Your concerns may be valid for long-term effects of DE exposure. I was merely informing people of another, highly effective, non-poisonous option. Speaking against its temporary use as a treatment without factual support does not help those that are currently dealing with persistent ear mites. Continue poisoning your meat if you are so inclined! In the future I will be less inclined to share my experience.

Liberator":3h16m9en said:
Please cite your sources.

I'm not sure what sources Dood would need to cite for the facts he listed above. Most of it is common knowledge. DE does not 'contain' silica.. it is made up primarily of silica dust. I think it could be applied to certain areas of a rabbit safely, but can't imagine blowing it into their faces. If it works for you, that's great. You're welcome to share your experiences, but it's not something I would broadly recommend people trying with their rabbits.

Hostility is not welcome in this forum, which makes it one of the best forums I've been in. People are respectful here and taking the kind of defensive stance that I see, so commonly, in other forums simply doesn't work here. You're not going to drag people into long winded debate sessions and throw barbs back in forth, at least I hope not. If people disagree with you, and they will, it's better to simply acknowledge their disagreement, state what works for you and move on. Best wishes to you and your rabbits.

Liberator":1j5fvib7 said:
Please cite your sources.
http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/81-123/pdfs/0552.pdf

http://www.biomedcentral.com/content/pd ... 7-7-39.pdf

To reiterate, we are talking about treatment with DE vs. poisonous compounds for meat rabbits. Silica is found in the soil. The same soil that rabbits burrow into. Your concerns may be valid for long-term effects of DE exposure.
as I stated DE is NOT the same silica found in soil - if it was it would be useless in killing insects. If you wish to remain ignorant that is your perogative but do to not spread your misinformation here and not expect someone to correct you

I was merely informing people of another, highly effective, non-poisonous option. Speaking against its temporary use as a treatment without factual support does not help those that are currently dealing with persistent ear mites.
you do not have any factual support, you have anectotal support and considering ear mites live deep within an ear canal negligible amounts of the power will enter when applied by blowing DE dust into their faces and I am highly suspicious if you properly diagnosed your rabbits with ear mites

If anyone gives advice about a substance with potential side effects, it's considered important to list them.

Just like the long list of side effects you will probably never experience listed in the packaging of each and every prescription medication.

No one was trying to tell you that you are in the wrong for using it on your animals, but there was no call to defensively insist that it can do no absolutely no harm.

It's well known that there is a possibility of harmful side effects from of inhaling ANY kind of fine dust (or smoke, ammonia fumes, pine phenols...the list goes on), since rabbits do have very sensitive respiratory systems.

People here were just making sure that anyone else who might read this would be aware of the risk.

How do you identify ear mites? Some of my kits have what seems like a small crustation area in the inside of the ear. It scrapes off easily. Seems like most of the pictures I have seen are worst case scenarios. What I am finding is just very small 1/4 " thin line of a crusty area.

if you dab a little vegetable oil on the "crusty" spots, with a q-tip, and then gently wipe it, -and it comes off leaving clean healthy skin under it, it is probly just crusty stuff in the ears , - but that is unlikely, as young rabbits with dirty ears is very rare.

Are the kits still with mom? If they are she should be cleaning their ears,I watch my does do it, it's funny when mom holds them down to clean their ears.. :lol: But anyway I would do like Michaels suggested. Ear mite crusties start down low in the ear, on the side that leads down to the ear drum. If your buns have them you will notice a lot of head shaking and ear scratching and cleaning.. I hope you only have dirt but it's hard to tell from the pic. :?

I havent tried DE for earmites but it works great on fur might. I dusted a two whole litters with no ill effects. The DE I use is the Red Lake kind with clay in it. Going off the bag here.. Its a good anti cakeing agent and can be feed to rabbits and alot of other animals as a parasite cleaner. :)

Joe n TN":1sxzzle0 said:
I have one buck that just can not get rid of ear mites. This is a stud buck, he is not for eating. I've been treating him for about three months with different holistic remedies. The most recent regimen has been 50/50 olive oil and tea tree oil 3-4 drops in the ears every other day for three weeks. Cage and hutch has been washed.

I've gotten rid of ear mites from other rabbits, no problems. I am not looking for other holistic remedies at this time.

Website I found recommended Ivermectin 0.4 mg/kg administered three times at two week intervals.

Does anyone have any advice in this treatment? Have you used a medicine that worked better? What was the dosage?

Joe

If you can go into your yard and pick plantain leaves and make plantain salve and mix that with coconut oil. It drowns them in a matter of days. I had a doe with severe ear mites I bought from a guy and It took me two months of fighting until I used that.

Latest posts

Back