Is it possible she was a peanut?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ButtonsPalace

Reaction score
So it's been like a year or so now but I was looking through some old pics when I found this. Now the baby I want to point out is the one that's like half the size of all the rest. I remember she got to a certain size and weight and just stopped growing. She came out the same size as the rest but never grew and I'm really curious as to what was wrong. Her mom and dad were the same breed (New Zealand/American Chinchilla) I've always wondered what was wrong with her. She died at about 2 or 3 weeks old and the day she died I remember she had a lot of very runny sticky poop and junk in her eyes
11011522_1126195400730678_3362038352028786187_n.jpg

The dwarf gene that causes peanuts doesn't run in American Chinchillas or New Zealands - and she doesn't look to have the characteristic pointy ears of a peanut. I don't think she was a peanut.

You do see her right? This is her and a littermate who was the same size as the rest. She's half the size and never got to be over about 2 ounces. I mean I just don't understand why she never grew. Is there any reason for it? She was eating she just wasn't growing
1.jpg

Really? I always wondered what was wrong. Failure to thrive.. I'm glad I know now. I'm not going to be keeping any around that look like that anymore.

Back