Register

really matted bunny

Routine care and maintenance of rabbits and their surroundings.
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 500.00

really matted bunny

Post Number:#1  Unread postby shazza » Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:01 pm

so my mini lop buck is...well. grooming challenged. he is about four years old, but he is very, very lazy. he spends most of his day sleeping - heavily enough that sometimes i think he is dead until i poke him and he jumps up and glares at me. he doesn't really groom himself very well at all - he also thinks the smell of his own urine is the finest lady-catching perfume. he was kind of icky looking at the breeder's when i brought him home in march, but he's just gotten worse.

up until a few months ago, every cage had a tile in it for the rabbits to lay on and cool off. however, all of them began using it as a great poo and pee spot, then laying in it. they all got messy butts, stained feet, and smelled bad, so i took the tiles out. everyone but my lop buck quickly improved in cleanliness, shedding out the gross fur. however, because he doesn't seem to groom, he now looks like this:

it looks like he's moulting, which is fine, and i was hoping that he'd just moult the mats out (not sure why the moult is turning into dreads though,) but i'm noticing now that the new fur is matting up too. is there anything i can do for him? i've tried coming/cutting the mats out but he hates being handled and my clippers are unable to handled fluffy rabbit fur. or do you think he'll just moult it out and it'd be fine?

also, if anyone can tell me what colour he is that'd be great. the breeder had no idea - apparently he was born one colour then suddenly turned this colour at about 6 months old or a year, and nobody could decide what it was. the yellow in his fur is from him wearing his "perfume." it makes his fur a gross texture, but bucks are just gross, i know, haha.
mini lop, standard rex, meat mutts

Site Supporter
1 year of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 9,626.00

Re: really matted bunny

Post Number:#2  Unread postby heritage » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:19 pm

What about one of those Furminator combs for dogs and cats? I got a knock off on Amazon for under $20 and it works wonders on our dogs. I have a buck that looks absolutely awful and am going to try it on him tomorrow.

I think this is the one I have... just in blue.

https://smile.amazon.com/Grooming-Drama ... furminator
Homeschool mom of 4 little ones - 9, 7, 5, & 3!

Our Four Ring Farmstead journey - with not quite 20 chickens of various breeds and 7 rabbits - and maybe a "few" popples every now and then... plus some feeble attempts at gardening. Officially registered as Four Ring Rabbitry!

Pampered Chef anyone? It's for a good cause! https://www.pamperedchef.com/pws/rmcoley

2 years of membership2 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 1,296.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby SableSteel » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:53 pm

Id just try to sit with him on your lap for a while and gently pull apart the mats until you get to the point where the old hair is separated enough that you can pull it off. Try not to cut them - they can thin skin that get caught up in the mats. Work on just one or two mats a day if he isn't liking it.
Sable Steel
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nationally Competitive Himalayans | Champagne Netherland Dwarfs | Muffed Ice Pigeons | Parlour Tumblers | ARBA Registrar

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 2,530.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby a7736100 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:45 am

I like to use a sewing seam ripper to cut open mats. They are designed with a protected cutting edge so you wouldn't cut the skin. Use a good one. I bought a cheap one that was dull and broke after little use.