Will my rabbit get a falt for his coloring?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, I have a solid black mini lop that I plan to be showing. He's black with a gray underneath but then on the sides of him white-ish hairs scattered threw-out the black. I'v been doing some research and it says a solid black rabbit with excessive white hairs will get a falt or even be disqualified (depending on the judge) So I was wondering if he will get a falt or be disqualified because I was really hoping on showing him since he's a really great rabbit except for the hairs on him. The hairs are not that noticeable but yet you can still notice them. (I tried to attach a picture but it said the pic was to big or something :( )

It depends on the judge

A cheat some use is to pluck with tweezers any stray white hairs but they will grow back in and your rabbit will still pass the genes for white hairs onto offspring which is why it is a disqualification in the first place

He may get faulted or dqed(with mini lops they are not TOO picky) The grayish undercolor is a fault. However, color faults don't detract much from a mini lop because color is only a small percent of their schedule of points. With ARBA rules you aren't allowed to pluck white hairs out - if you are caught doing this, your entire entry from a show can be DQed. If he has enough scattered white hairs that it is considered a DQ in most breeds ... mini lops allow black silver fox as a variety (which is basically black with extreme scattered white hairs) so I doubt he will be dq'ed. Some judges may say that he has too much white for a black and too little for a silver fox and dq him anyway, but usually they are more lenient.

What I'm trying to say is... just try to show him. In mini lops they are lenient on color. If he is dq'ed, just try to show him again and every judge is different, so he may not be dq'ed a second time.

Also, with how common steel is in mini lop, and the fact that the hairs are more noticeable on the side (one of the most common places for steel ticking) I'd check to make sure it's not a steel. If the picture is too big to upload here, you can upload it to imgur.com and post a link here so we can tell you if its a steel. If it is a steel, it won't be dq'ed.

Well he is definitely not a steel or any other color because almost his whole entire body is a dark black. The hairs are not really a white color there more a grayish color and I read that some of the grayish hairs from the underneath of the rabbit can spread up slightly from the bottom. Also if any body knows how many points does color count for the mini lop breed?

The gray belly does sound steel-related. Here is a picture of a steeled otter on the rabbitcolors site showing a gray belly on a black rabbit. Click the thumbnail for full-size/more pics.

From that picture he does look more like a steel than a black to me (though he'd be faulted for not having enough ticking). I found that pattern of steeling common in my rabbits that carried non-extension (Ese) so if he has tort or orange in his lines, that's probably the reason.

I agree that in the photo he looks steel

This gene is HIGHLY variable and you can have light steels which can hardly be told from chestnuts or chinchilla and they can range to extremely dark steels which look like self black or chocolate or blue or lilac

I've produced several of these all black steels and have purchased a "black" buck that turned out to be steel which was discovered when he produced lighter steel coloured kits :shock: also several members have been tricked by this gene

Well just to let all ya know who think he's a steel I had him checked by several arba judges at a show today and they said he definitely not a steel but a perfect solid black mini lop. They also said that in solid black rabbits that those hairs are very common. He also got BOS and BOB in his classes.

It can be difficult to tell colours from pictures and I guess in person it doesn't look like he has agouti banding in his fur :hmm: hopefully no surprise colours crop up in his offspring ;)

Mini Lop are one of the few breeds where colour is not a big issue on the show table, white hairs or "brassy" black fur is definitely not acceptable or common in most other breeds

:congratulations: on the wins

Back