2 week old kit has no desire to suckle/eat

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ipoGSD

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
So my litter is doing good, 2 weeks old as of yesterday. Bringing them inside during the heat of the day and putting them back with mom when its cooler.

Problem is, one kit has no desire to nurse. I held mom for her several times, I even got some milk to come out, all the kit did was lick at it. No latching on.

I have been feeding it goats milk, egg yolk and karao syrup. I cant get her to eat enough to gain weight and grow.
Tonight even tho she fought it, i got her to swallow about 4 ml's at once. Usually she will only take about 2 and a half.

I dont want to give up on her. Even though she isnt eating alot, she gets around pretty good for her age and pees, poops and cleans herself.

Im hoping she will start to eat on her own. Its to the point of not knowing if im helping or being selfish.

Does anyone know what could be going on? Im sure there is no real answer..just hoping for some guesses.. also what else can i do for her?

Failure to thrive just happens sometimes, usually it is due to a congenital defect, sometimes it's hereditary and either way there is nothing you can do

I havent had this issue that often in my meat rabbits but it was a frequent problem in my Netherland Dwarfs. Some pairings were simply not a good match and I had to keep track of which doe got bred to which buck to help prevent loosing entire litters

So that's what this would be considered? Failure to thrive? Well i hope I can help her, its breaking my heart and iffffff she lives, she has a forever home with us.

She is really bright eyed today. Walking around then coming back to me for cuddles, i think she thinks im her mom. Im hoping the instinct to eat kicks in..

Is there anything besides pellets, oatmeal & moms poo that i can offer her to start nibbling on? She also has timothy & Alfalfa hay in her nest box.

I also plan on getting some ben a back or however its spelled..

What breed of rabbit is it? Dwarf breeds are more likely to have this problem especially in peanuts. Unfortunately it might be natures way of taking care of a problem, and sometimes intervention can prolong the inevitable. I understand why you would want to try though, if it was me I probably would too! Just don't be too hard on yourself if this little one doesn't survive. Its fairly common and not at all anyone's fault.

She definitely wasnt a peanut, although now she looks like one. Her momma is a flemish X satin mix. And dad is a mini rex.

I realize she might not pull through but Im still hoping for the best but trying to get ready for the worst:(

I appreciate your kind words macksmom. <br /><br /> -- Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:33 am -- <br /><br /> Just an update.. she was way more willing to eat on her own tonight. She ate 1 whole ml willingly! I made her drink more than that but the willingness makes me happy :)

Hey ipoGSD, I'm having the same problem! Although my kit is almost 3 weeks old.
You may have seen my thread: post305244.html#p305244
If not you may want to check it out as I have a couple of compared formulas.
You can try feeding dried oatmeal as well! My kit won't eat it but yours might! I heard some other people call them faders. I've never had this happen before, it is really saddening! Hopefully both our kits will survive!!! Lots of prayers!

Hi easy ears. I havent checked the thread yet but i will. My little girl is full of spunk. She hops out of the nest box and follows me around. She hops all around our living room and when shes ready to sleep she comes to us and climbs on my lap or hand or if im not paying attention on my foot.

Shes now willingly eating more formula, to me that's a good sign! I cant get the (dont know how to spell it) but those poopa that begin with a C (too tired to google the spelling lol) so im offering regular fresh poos. And adding a tiny bit to her formula.

Ive been offering oatmeal, tim & alf hay & pellets too but no go as of yet

-- Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:55 pm --

Oops wasnt finished.

She is still pooping and peeing. I get very happy when i see her poops! I also got the ben a back stuff today. I gave her just a teeeeeny pinch because for 1/4 of a lb animal they are to get 1/8 of a teaspoon. Shes not even close to 1/4th of a lb and i want to introduce it slowly to her.

As for faders, yeah i can totally see how she could fit that. But as long as she has a will to live, i will do everything I can.

I sure hope your baby bun makes it too.. its heartbreaking isnt it? Going to go read that post now :) <br /><br /> -- Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:57 pm -- <br /><br /> And thank you macksmom.. im still hoping for the best :)

I know how you feel ipoGSD I just love this little one. She will be a keeper for sure. :) She has the best temperament, just loves being petted and held and is always giving me lots of kisses. I carry her around most of the day with me. <3

That is an interesting idea...to put cecotropes in the formula! :p I might have to do that, but I'm not sure it would help with the taste, she already despises the stuff as it is. :lol:

Imo I would not offer alfalfa hay! I have had horrid experiences with it and kits in the past. Lost almost an entire litter to it 2 years ago, only one kit survived. I believe it was a combo of things but the alfalfa had a large roll to play. Just thought I'd let you know...

That is great yours is pottying! I haven't found signs of it yet but I'm hopeful! She still has lots of energy and isn't too thin...

Where did you find the Bene Bac powder? I looked around but wasn't able to find any...

I've never had this experience in the more than two years I've raised rabbits...had no idea what a fader was until this week. :( I agree with you. As long as I can force formula down her, she won't pass on my watch! :mrgreen: I love her to much to let her go without a fight. I'll do everything I can. Each kit I am blessed with as a special place in my heart and I will do whatever I can to give them the best chance and the best life they can have. :)

Easy we found the bene bac powder at petco, in the small critter section. (I would have thought it would be with the puppy/kitten stuff but it wasnt) it was only 3.99

I didnt notice any poops today and she was hunched up alot today so i gave a gentle massage and a teeeeeeny smidge of metacam for pain (i have left over because my chihuahua had some teeth pulled) she did a normal looking poop but there was mucus. So i think I'll keep massaging and keep letting her run around as much as she wants.

You're lucky your baby isnt thin. My girl weighs only 72 grams and shes close to 3 weeks old. But she has grown and is now taking about 3ml willingly on her own @ each feeding.

-- Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:55 am --

Heres a pic of our baby girl sitting on my BIL's hand. She will be 3 weeks on the 4th of July. Shes so micro teeny tiny.

Ps i just checked on her and i saw more poops YAY!!!

And easy, you sound like us. We're always carrying her around too. And she's a huge licker also, alwaysssss kissing us with her little tongue.

If we do lose her, its going to kill me.. she even sleeps in a box on our bed with us so i can check on her throughout the night.

So glad your baby made it thru that scary ordeal. Sending good vibes for your baby!!! <br /><br /> -- Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:52 pm -- <br /><br /> Just a quick update. Shes gaining weight and growing a little bit. Now we dont feel every bone in her body. Anddddd i was so happy a little while ago, tommy (a pet bunny) was out and left a small mound of cecotropes. I grabbed that up immediately and seen if she would eat it like that. She didnt so i added it to her formula!!!! That cecotropes is like finding gold! I even tried what i read online about an e collar.. yeahhhhh tommy flipped out!! So that was a no go. I had been using fresh regular poops as it was all i could find. Hope i can score more cecotropes tomorrow..

Andddddd i also seen her eat 2 small pieces of hay today!!!!

Easy ears, we lost her on the 20th, i got a call from my wife that she had a seizure. I rushed home in record time and she passed in my arms. Talk about a heart ache!!! Ive only ever cried like this when a close family member or one of my dogs have passed.

We had her cremated, so when I have my gem made for a ring out of my other pets ashes, it will include hers too. Tho, i think we got robbed it was $102 and she was only around 6 ounces but labeled as an "exotic cremation." When i had my cat cremated who weighed WAY more it was only a few dollars more. But its worth it to us just makes ya bitterwith how some people take advantage of someone's pain.

I've been meaning to take a pic of her box she came back in. It really is pretty, my other pets came home in a tin.

We still miss her so much :(

I'm so so so sorry for your loss! :cry: It is very devastating losing something you love so much! There is nothing I can say that can ease the pain but with time your heart will heal. I've lost quite a few kits and it is very hard. Each one is so special and it is just so sad when a life is lost, but I believe they are in a better place now...

Back