First attempt at breeding

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would keep going for at least 4 weeks maybe even six week. Make the transition slowly and make sure you got a frozen two liter in with them.

I was asked to post weights so others could compare. Currently each one at the three week mark was about three quarters of a pound. They are from Cross Roads Rabbits. Others have rabbits from them as well and wanted the follow up.

bigfoot_158":2vik7apo said:
So how many babies made it? And how are they doing?

Four have made it. The three that didn't died within the first few days.

They are doing great. Growing pretty well and are eating already. Soon they will leave momma.

__________ Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:36 am __________

Quick update. Five week weights are in. They are each just over 1.5lbs. Really starting to put on the weight. I am mixing some oats and sunflower seeds in with the pellets. Mom is now in her own cage with one of the kits to help her transition milk wise. Looking to re-breed her and my other doe around the first of September. <br /><br /> __________ Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:59 am __________ <br /><br /> Went home yesterday to find on of the new litter dead. I had my son with me and my wife was at church, so I couldn't open it up to see what killed it. I am guessing heat related. I have a frozen two litter in the cage which is in the shade. None of the others in its cage show any signs of trouble.

It did have a lot of fluid below its mouth all the way down to its feet. Very clear. So not sure if that would indicate what it was.

TheChad
I have found the 4-8week window for kits is particularly distressing.
Like you I am just starting out, (almost a year now) have a few does (just moved up to 4 breed-able does)

I find that age the digestive system of the bunny is VERY sensitive to changes in feed, frightening things, strong breezes.... I think you get my point. I had 3 babes in that 4-8 week old range out for some cuddles with the kids in a fenced area and one ate more grass than the others.... one died, one got sick and has recovered and one had no issues.

Just learned to expect that age to have issue and have fresh mint & parsley ready for digestive issues.

Sounds like it might have been heat related. When they are under stress from heat they drool like crazy and end up soaked - was the head also cocked back? There is a post on here somewhere with pics - I will see if I can find it. <br /><br /> __________ Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:09 pm __________ <br /><br /> Here it is: photos-of-rabbits-in-heat-distress-t14903.html

I checked the pictures and the amount of fluid under the neck and hands was much more. I do have a gravity bowl system so it may have gotten in the water, but the body was a good distance from it. I don't remember how the neck looked. I will note that the others in the cage with him didn't have any wetness on them, but it could have just been that particular one that was the issue.

I am hoping this heat breaks soon. :groooan: <br /><br /> __________ Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:14 am __________ <br /><br /> Well we are at the ten week mark and sadly they are just 3.5 lbs. I think it is a combination of the summer and my doe being smaller than the other two. If my other doe finally has kits this time, one of them will replace her. They also have the digging gene and are dumping food out like there mother. A lot of food since I free feed them.

Latest posts

Back