First Ink

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Do rabbits squeal sometimes when they're tattooed, or is that an indication that I'm doing something wrong?

I watched 7 or 8 vids on YouTube about tattooing rabbit ears and one thing I never saw happen in the vid is the rabbit squealing. Last night, we tattooed 2 rabbits and they both squealed like piglets. I stopped numbering rabbits to make sure I'm not doing something wrong.

I'm using the Bass Equip pliers system and my numbering system uses all 5 digits ('cause I'm a jerk, I guess). Kits being marked were born 3/31. My marks are appearing just off-center in the ear away from the visible blood vessels. Rabbits seem just fine as soon as I let the needles off. My holes do not go all the way through the ear, and seem to be adequate to retain ink.

They do sometimes, but not that often. And while some rabbits are just vocal, sometimes it is a sign they're in pain. I've never had it happen when I tattoo, but I use a pen tattooer and not a clamp. Also, in my opinion rabbits of that age group are the worst to tattoo - squirmier than seniors and stronger than weanlings (but I usually tattoo around that age, because Im a procrastinator and thats usually right before their first show)

There are a few things you can try. Less digits may help, also the position in the ear makes a difference sometimes (in the center and the edge part with fur seem the most painful). I use Gigi's spray (can be bought on amazon, made for cosmetics, to numb skin before waxing) to numb the ear before I tattoo sometimes too. A good tattoo wrap may help, but I don't use mine much because my himalayans are too narrow to fit in them so I can't give you advice on those - they just help restrain the rabbit during the whole thing.

Good luck with your bunnies.

I use a clamp and pen tattooer both and actually prefer the clamp, bap and it's done.

Restraint; You can use a wrap as mentioned but you have a great one hanging in your bathroom already. Make a bunny burrito out of them. (do a search on "bunny burrito" here on R/T and/or You Tube)

There are several different numbing agents available but you already have a very good one of those too. Ice cubes :p Just hold one one their ear for a minute, hit with a dry paper towel and clamp and ink. Of course you already had your burrito made didn't you?
As I'm sure you found out, they WILL jump when you clamp them. Search "tattoo box" here on R/T. I think it was Grumpy that brought those to my attention. Neat idea if you have a bunch to do.

As for the screams :shrug: I use a flashlight to shine through the skin and a sharpy to mark the large veins so I know where NOT to pierce the ear.

I do two letters and two or three numbers but never even get a grunt. It's over before they know it's even happening. :good-luck:

Ok, so it doesn't sound like I'm doing anything terribly wrong. These bunnies were vocal when they played with each other (when they were smaller) and even grunt during motions for show routine, so maybe just vocal. I'll see how it goes with the rest.

My restraint is a child's backpack. I put the body inside and run the zippers to each side of the neck. These are Cali's,so they're big enough for that.

Thanks for the advice and support, guys!

I don't have a pic, but it was stuffed with old towels after the bunny was inside. I tried doing the burrito thing with mine, but they would wiggle out before I could get the pliers on. After the first one squealed, all my helpers went away, so the backpack gave me my best one-handed option. ;)

Back