Water intake

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

REDMIST

Reaction score
We purchased some dwarfs a week ago. We are not used to these in size compared to our Silver fox. We use 1 pint water pans. The dwarfs were on bottles. The buck is drinking as I can see the water pan is down. I saw the doe drink once when we first put her in the cage. But she doesn't drink alot. I can hardly tell if she is drinking. I got a bottle and put that in. We have been hot so I figure if she was not drinking she be dead by now. Any suggestions on how to monitor water intake? Should I put water with a dropper in her mouth?

What are you feeding? I feed fresh green forage whenever available, and my rabbits drink close to nothing all summer long.

Watch their poop and pee, if that's normal then the intake is normal too.

Hay and pellets. Everything looks normal to me.
Eats fine <br /><br /> -- Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:01 am -- <br /><br /> Just not sure about water intake.

Hi Redmist

Rabbits can be weird in the sense that of eating and drinking. I use water bottles because its easy to monitor their intake. I have on doe that barely finishes a 32 oz bottle in two days. The other doe can drink two 32 oz bottles in one day. And my bucks about half a bottle a day. These are at temps of 95 plus here lately. I look at this way, as long as they are eating and drinking something and their poop is a nice round semi hard ball all is good. When I feed greens meaning grass weeds and garden scrapes I really watch their poo. They can get loose poo quickly from all the water from the greens. :lol:

Back