Question for the Pokemon Go people...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have never played it, no plans to (not that I even have a smart phone or anything) so what I know about it is just the snippets from the mass amount of headlines on the news lately... this might be a silly question, but can they be on/in (??) moving vehicles?

Back story - we went to VA today to pick up my gma for the week (she'll be 91 next month and still lives on her own!). We are on 85 and my son said "Mom, that lady just took a picture of us!" Huh?? I look in the side mirror to see a gold van that had been next to me dropping back. He said the driver held her phone up to the window, and it looked like she took a picture. DH was napping in the passenger seat, but a pillow was blocking his face so it's not like he was drooling or anything goofy. I asked ODS if he was picking his nose or making faces or something :lol: ... he said no. It kinda weirded me out, like it was an invasion of privacy or something. When we stopped I checked that side of the car to make sure there wasn't something weird going on. Nope. Then DH joked: "Hey, maybe we had a Pokemon on us!" I did a quick google image search to see if anything random actually popped up and I did see a couple pics of the goofy things on vehicles... so maybe?? I can't even begin to wrap my mind around how that works, but whatever.

I am really hoping that it was something as simple as that so I don't have to keep wondering WTHeck that lady was taking a picture of. No stickers, no signs, just a red Suburban door, a pillow, and my 8 year old son :? .

Probably was just a pokemon! I've definitely played while sitting in passenger, and pokemon can appear on roads and highways.

When a pokemon "appears", its randomly spawned in relation to the phone. It's not so much that it appeared on your car, it's that your car was where it appeared, haha. I'd say with certainty there wasn't any shenanigans or foul play happening- just catching them all!

I don't have a smart phone either, nor would play something like that, but it's so good to see headlines and peoples minds for a change being occopied with something else than the daily bad news :)

It sure is good for wierd encounters, but well, I quite like that :popcorn:

This game is going to get someone killed. In the past 2weeks alone:
-Friend got robbed, at gun point, while playing at night
-Same place next day another person was robbed, again at gun point, from his car
-Boss nearly shot a couple of kids for breaking into her yard at 1am (Her fenced yard. She also lives in a bad area and it was just her and her 2 small children at home, so she had good reasons to be jumpy.)
-I have nearly shot several people for being on my property at stupidly late hours (I live at the end of a dead end gravel road. It's almost 2 miles from the closest black top. Closest neighbor quarter mile up the road. Plus have had ARA nuts trying to break into my barn and save/release my rabbits. :evil: )
-Nearly ran over 2 grown men that where in the middle of the road (These 2 were in the middle of the road, on a hill not the top but half way up it, at dark. And you would think they would at least be wearing white or bright clothing so they could be seen :shock: NOPE black tees and blue jeans. :evil:

The game does have it's pros. Such as getting people off the coach and up and walking. But commons sense is lacking as a whole. SO if you are playing, do so safely. Be aware of your surroundings, look for cars, cliff edges, and people hiding behind trees. And for goodness sake please don't talk to strangers. I know your parents at some point covered this but just thought yall would like the refresher.

Just saying,
Cathy

wamplercathy":2pia7fb9 said:
This game is going to get someone killed. In the past 2weeks alone:

The images of car wrecks that popped up that were supposedly linked to Pokemon were pretty scary looking!

And yes, a little bit of common sense goes a long way. Not sure why people think private property is OK at all hours of the day/night... even if there is a critter there.

Zass":2rpjr42e said:
LOTS of car accidents have been linked to people using cell phones while driving for years now. It's illegal here.

Illegal here too (well, anything but talking, which is less distracting, but still not your full attention), but that doesn't stop them. I have been almost hit so many times, it's infuriating! I am trying to come up with a good, concise bumper sticker about how my children's lives are worth far more than whatever text you are about to send. The lady yesterday was in 4 or 5 lanes of relatively heavy traffic doing 70 MPH! She was speeding up and slowing down, enough so to disrupt the flow of traffic. It's ridiculous.

DH's cousin, when she was 18, had the argument that texting while driving was actually safer because you knew you were distracted so you were paying more attention. Ummmm... no. I honestly don't know how she hasn't had a major wreck yet given her bad habit for speeding and distracted driving. But I am sure she feels invincible, that it can't happen to her.

heritage":3ac2rouv said:
DH's cousin, when she was 18, had the argument that texting while driving was actually safer because you knew you were distracted so you were paying more attention.
Makes sense to me. I've often told people that I was racing against to go slower because it would actually make them faster .... but none of them believed me! :eek:
And the more money you spend, the richer you'll be (according to our gubmint anyway).

All pokemon will be catch-able within a 40m circle from the spot they spawn on the road. There is no need for people to be going crazy places.
Niantic should have announced this properly with an instruction set when the game is first opened. :/

they open with a BE SAFE message... but people are silly and don't pay attention...but that's with anything nowadays. :)

My lad and hubby play it, until the data runs out then they have to wait until next month. :) They play together and they play smart and safe.

Yup, DH and I play as well :oops:

Mind you, we actually go park the truck downtown and then walk to all the stops in the area and see if we can't find a cool Pokémon along the way. Gotta catch 'em all, right?

But we've seen everything. There's kids almost running into traffic with their phones glued to their noses, and adults cruising around town in their car with the phone clearly held up in front of the steering wheel. Yes, there's a message at the beginning of the game when you start it up that indicates you should "pay attention to your surroundings," but I feel they could have made the meaning more clear. Because when I first saw it, even I thought it meant "there's Pokémon where you least expect them" or something like that, to encourage people to play more.

I'm glad I've got DH to go out with me, so we always have two sets of eyes to watch for trouble. And we purposely avoid private properties and sketchy parts of town. I think if people were just using that fabled common sense more, the game could be appreciated more for encouraging people to get outdoors and be more active. :) Plus it's generating interest in games that have GPS-linked content and capabilities.

I'm not into Pokemon Go but just had a few funny stories ive heard to share:

Don't know if you guys have heard this one but:
This guy in Australia was playing the game in the middle of the road and blocking traffic. Then he went off on the guy who honked on him!!

My grandpa said he has a few in the place where he works. He'll even see other people that work there playing!
Also my aunt asked if the Pokemons could be taken off their property, for safety. Safety reasons like.....
Some people have been getting robbed because people want pokemon.
I'm totally OK and fine if other people play it, but not if they go all out. Like breaking into a persons private property for a pokemon thats virtual.
If they were real id understand.
I dont really get the game. Whats the aim of it?

Sorry if it seems like im ranting. I'm not. Just was laughing at some people and how game addicted they get! Although i can get a little addicted to games i like, ( Like MineCraft:) lol :oops: :D ).

@olafthebunny, even if the Pokémon were real, it still wouldn't be an excuse for people breaking into private properties. Which is really more a case of people using Pokémon Go as an excuse when they're caught in someone's living room holding the flat screen TV. It's supposed to be a fun game that gets people outdoors and active, and has some nostalgia for those of us who used to watch the show and trade cards. 90's kids are probably their main players. I just wish people used more sense...

what's the point?

It's an online scavenger hunt basically. And a ...if you catch more of them you can make what you caught stronger.

it's a bit of a challenge to catch some of them we've learned that much.

But people have to remember to play smart and use common sense indeed.

You can also go to "gyms" and battle your Pokemon with other Pokemon Go users. I'm not exactly sure how that works. Just what my son was telling me. Our local gym is our walmart lol.

For those of you who DO play it, if you're not Team Instinct then we can't be friends >:c

Yeah, it's a cool game! :lol: I haven't gotten it yet due to the fact that my phone's storage mysteriously filled up and I've been too lazy to take it in to the Apple store to get it fixed, whatever the problem is -- and I have a feeling that downloading Go would take up a lot of storage + time, haha!
And yes, it apparently does get a lot of people going outside, surprisingly. :p

Back