Maggots? :( Help!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Easy Ears

Reaction score
I found some wormy things that appear to be maggots in one of my does litter trays. They are liking the damp poo. I haven't found any on her...does that mean she's ok? And I can just bleach out the tray and keep things cleaner for now and everything will be fine? Is it only the bot fly maggots you have to worry about? These look like black soldier fly maggots....possibly.

They are quite possibly fly maggots. I get a lot of those when there is moisture in the poop (such as pee or spilled water) and it is warm. Do flies have access to your bunny's poop?

bikegurl":2472ihiq said:
Do flies have access to your bunny's poop?

Yes. The tray underneath is slightly slanted so the poo gets soggy with the pee. I haven't noticed the worms in any of the other trays and noticed the other rabbits poo are dried too. My main question I'd like answered is: Should I be concerned for my rabbits? It isn't likely that they are coming from my doe right? I checked her bottom and couldn't find any worms so I'm assuming the worms just hatched in the tray?
I cleaned out the tray, bleached it and spread DE and fly spray all over the rabbitry. :x

My main question I'd like answered is: Should I be concerned for my rabbits?

Nah, don't worry.
Maggots in the litter pans are probably just there because of poo. They won't crawl up and attack the rabbits. Fly spray, on the other hand, might be toxic and could irritate their respiratory system, so be careful about spraying it where it can be inhaled.

We have awful awful flies thanks to the cow pasture next to the house. Maggots, as icky nasty as they are, are part of any animal around here b/c the poop has to go somewhere so it's either under the hutches, or where ever else it would go. The *only* time I have had issues with maggots was in an unhealthy rabbit. I bought one that was overweight (Grumpy advised against it, I didn't quite fully understand why it was an issue) and she couldn't clean herself properly. I noticed a bit of a funky smell, didn't think much of it. Then I realized the flies were congregating more around her. Hmmmmm... looked under her and there was a wad of gunk clogging her vent area. By far the nastiest thing I have every encountered with rabbits, maybe even animals in general. Anyway, I tried cleaning her up, but really didn't have a clue what I was doing. The next day she was wide eyed and twitching, with flies all around her. Yup - maggots in her vent area. I get queasy just thinking about it. I panicked a bit and culled her right then and there. She looked absolutely miserable so it was more out of mercy than anything.

All that to say this: for a normal, healthy rabbit it's not an issue. All the others have been fine.

Latest posts

Back