Help! My nursing doe has parasite in her poop

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

golfyfan

Reaction score
My nursing new zealand / california doe just gave birth 5 days ago and today I saw some white worms in her poop. I have been supplementing her pellets and hay with fresh dandelions, grass, mulberry leaves and apple branches. I suspect dandelions and grass to be the possible culprit as sometimes I do not wash them thoroughly.

What is the worm and how do I treat my doe for it? Or should I get medicated pellets? medication? would the kits be infected too? Would medication be passed through milk to kits?

Any advice would greatly be appreciated.
I'm located in Ontario. <br /><br /> -- Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:05 am -- <br /><br /> forgot to attach photo

Attachments

• IMG_20160709_090029.jpg
    IMG_20160709_090029.jpg
    371.5 KB · Views: 1,061
Probably pin worms which except for the gross factor is something I don't bother treating. Personally I wouldn't treat while she's nursing.

You can try some pumpkins seeds. They have some anti-parasitic properties. They are generally more helpful as a preventative but giving them while she is nursing won't hurt anything. They are also high in fat, protein, and other nutrients which can be valuable to a nursing doe.

Just don't give alot at once, a Tablespoon or two a day.

alforddm":3d87hlyt said:
You can try some pumpkins seeds. They have some anti-parasitic properties. They are generally more helpful as a preventative but giving them while she is nursing won't hurt anything. They are also high in fat, protein, and other nutrients which can be valuable to a nursing doe.

Just don't give alot at once, a Tablespoon or two a day.

I will try pumpkin seeds. Should they be raw or cooked? Shell on or off? Thanks a bunch!

I don't think it makes a difference. Mine seem to like them dried better than fresh out of the pumpkin. The shells provide some fiber to balance out the fat and protein so they might be preferable but it really all comes down to what you can get. Unsalted would probably be better as well.

These look like what I had under my cages. Can you take a picture of under the cages? Not a close up. Do you have lots of flies around your cages? I would stuff the cages floor full of either dry hay or grass so the poop get caught in the hay. This way you get the freshes poop to look at. These look like fly maggots to me. When I let the poop and urine build up under the cage I would have these and other bugs breeding in the wet parts. And lots of flies. Since I notice this as a problem in a indoor rabbitry. To combat fly maggots I keep the all the poop and hay cleaned up under the cage plus I add a dusting of DE. This has to be done daily as long as temp stay warm. I went from having a boat load of flies to having none. The trick is keeping the poop dry no wetness equals no breeding ground for any bugs or parasites. :)

I think it looks like the pinworms I experienced. I was given a doe with them, to see if I could treat her after we(her owner and I) butchered one litter of her fryers and they all had pin worms in their intestines.

I treated her with raw shelled pumpkin seeds for about two weeks. About a table spoon a day. The added fats and proteins seemed to help her gain condition back, since pregnancy and nursing with worms had her a little thin. The post-pumpkin-seed litter had no visible worms when I processed them. After that, I returned the doe, so I have no idea if they ever came back.

bigfoot_158":vyhrlqif said:
These look like fly maggots to me. When I let the poop and urine build up under the cage I would have these and other bugs breeding in the wet parts. And lots of flies. Since I notice this as a problem in a indoor rabbitry. To combat fly maggots I keep the all the poop and hay cleaned up under the cage plus I add a dusting of DE. This has to be done daily as long as temp stay warm. I went from having a boat load of flies to having none. The trick is keeping the poop dry no wetness equals no breeding ground for any bugs or parasites. :)

Were the fly maggots on the rabbits?

Latest posts

Back