Register

Fetal kits and full term in one litter. GRAPHIC pics.

Addressing the special needs of the breeding doe and her kits. Includes nutrition, gestation, nest boxes and materials, and tips to ensure survival of the young.
1 year of membership
BunnyBucks: 50.00

Re: Fetal kits and full term in one litter. GRAPHIC pics.

Post Number:#31  Unread postby wpcaernarfon » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:01 am

Miss M, resorted was supposed to mean resorbed.

The Android pad I used to write the comment is always "correcting" what I write with the wrong words, even "correcting" common words like resorbed.

So my rabbit resorbs her kits somewhere near the beginning of her third trimester, around 20 -24 days.

Site Admin
7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 58,318.00

Post Number:#32  Unread postby MaggieJ » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:52 pm

I think the word you wanted was "reabsorb" or "reabsorbing", wpcaernarfon.

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 56,220.00

Post Number:#33  Unread postby Miss M » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:10 pm

wpcaernarfon wrote:Miss M, resorted was supposed to mean resorbed.

The Android pad I used to write the comment is always "correcting" what I write with the wrong words, even "correcting" common words like resorbed.

So my rabbit resorbs her kits somewhere near the beginning of her third trimester, around 20 -24 days.

Oh, right! If I hadn't been so tired, I probably would have picked up on that. :roll:

MaggieJ wrote:I think the word you wanted was "reabsorb" or "reabsorbing", wpcaernarfon.

"Resorb" is actually a correct American (USA) English word with the same definition:

resorb
Syllabification: re·sorb
Pronunciation: /rēˈsôrb/ /-ˈzôrb/
Definition of resorb in English:

verb
[with object] technical

1Absorb (something) again: the ability to resorb valuable solutes from the urine

1.1 Physiology Remove (cells, or a tissue or structure) by gradual breakdown into its component materials and dispersal in the circulation: bone tissue will be resorbed

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/de ... ish/resorb
Sithrah Farm - http://sithrahfarm.com/

We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
- James Madison

The following user would like to thank Miss M for this post
MaggieJ

Site Admin
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 58,318.00

Post Number:#34  Unread postby MaggieJ » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:49 am

Interesting! You are perfectly correct, Miss M. I have never come across the word "resorb" but after reading your post I googled it. According to dictionary.com its use goes back to the 1600's! It's odd that the American English spell-check flags it as an error since it is apparently used on both sides of the Atlantic.

My apologies, wpcaernarfon. :oops:

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 87,553.00

Post Number:#35  Unread postby MamaSheepdog » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:14 pm

MaggieJ wrote:I have never come across the word "resorb" but after reading your post I googled it.

Same here, and I was also going to offer a correction... fortunately, I have a dictionary handy right here on my desk and looked it up first. :wr_special:

It's not often that I or MaggieJ see an unfamiliar word, so thanks for teaching us a new one Wpcaernarfon! :P
Victory Garden Rabbits

Proud new owner of the highly coveted Get-away-with-it-card! (Homer's gift to me in a feeble attempt to curry favor and avoid the ban hammer.)

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. - Thomas Jefferson

1 year of membership
BunnyBucks: 5.00

Post Number:#36  Unread postby NKALKA » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:20 pm

The the photos you Pieter are interesting. I read about this about 2 weeks ago ... I learnt something new about rabbit physiology. They font have one uterus like a human, they gave two horns to their uterus and each can carry a litter - usually not successfully. So the 5 that lived are quite unique. It can also be fatal for mummy bunny too. Each horn can carry a litter from a different male. I've never seen these sorts of pics before ... The kit in its sac is quite amazing really. Al the best with the kits and the next litter.

-- Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:20 pm --

The the photos you posted are interesting. I read about this about 2 weeks ago ... I learnt something new about rabbit physiology. They dont have one uterus like a human, they have two horns to their uterus and each can carry a litter - usually not successfully. So the 5 that lived are quite unique. It can also be fatal for mummy bunny too. Each horn can carry a litter from a different male. I've never seen these sorts of pics before ... The kit in its sac is quite amazing really. Al the best with the kits and the next litter. :bunnyhop:

Site Supporter
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 31,003.00

Post Number:#37  Unread postby Zass » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:59 pm

NKALA, the two horned uterus is real, but the fact that they are for carrying separate litters is a myth.

I've autopsied several does now, at varying stages of pregnancy. I always find embryos carried in both horns in every pregnancy.
Imagine the horns being filled with kits, lined up on both sides of a rabbit's abdomen instead of all those babies in a cluster in the middle, or all the kits being carried on one side. That is what the two horns are for.

From my understanding, a doe can have embryos fertilized by more than one buck (like a cat), but, they would not be carried separately.

Previous