Register

Shedding~

Routine care and maintenance of rabbits and their surroundings.
1 year of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 5,880.00

Shedding~

Post Number:#1  Unread postby funnies50 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:33 pm

I adopted a 3-year-old male rabbit {not sure of breed} from one of my friends whose mom developed allergies to the fur. Seems perfectly healthy, if a bit overweight :lol:
He's been shedding a LOT haha... I wasn't sure if this was a seasonal thing or not. Is there a way to clean off all/most of the fur? It's starting to get everywhere and it's a real pain to clean off the car seats and carpet. :x

I can post a picture of him if it's necessary? :0

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 4,697.00

Re: Shedding~

Post Number:#2  Unread postby Prisma » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:10 am

Lots of brushing with a soft brush that doesn't scratch the skin....with the heat outside (depending on location of course) its still a problem with climate controlled rabbits ugh. I wish they didn't shed when in AC or cooler areas than outside, but if its very hot or weather changing for seasons inside rabbits will still shed (although usually not as bad). You can also dampen your hands (just barely wet) and briskly but gently rub him down to collect some of it too. I love my shedder brush though and a bristle human brush I got at Dollar General.

Have to remember, he's had a shock to his system. Change in environment, feed, water, schedule...all these can cause a molt.
Rabbitry is changing in 2016.

Glenville, West Virginia

2 years of membership2 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 3,970.00

Re: Shedding~

Post Number:#3  Unread postby Easy Ears » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:50 pm

Each rabbit has its own molting schedule, mine usually molt a couple times a year. Don't worry, it will end in a couple weeks! :P I have 2 molting baaaaaaaad right now hehe. :x
At Easy Ears Rabbitry I raise pedigree Holland lops and Netherland Dwarfs. As well as Dutch Dwarfs (A smaller breed of Dutch).
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/easyearsrabbitry/