Miniature horses?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone have experience with them? Pros, cons? The little I have read said that the breeding lines play a huge role (not that that is any different than any other animal).

This is just an impromptu thought process triggered by our neighbor/tenant whe she said she knew someone trying to find a home for two of them...

Anyway, the kids love horses. We're not up for a BIG horse at this point... we don't really know what to do with them (I have gone horseback riding a few times, DH never has, that's about it for us and horse experience outside of what you read in a book), we don't have the acreage (yet), and the thought of that big of an animal with the kids so small still is kind of scary for us. We did think about them being a possibility in the future, especially if we were to acquire some more acreage. We have about 1/3 of an acre of front yard that we can't do a thing with (600 ft. of septic lines), plus another strip that's already fenced in (no idea the size). We talked about different livestock options to put in it, just hadn't found anything ideal. I am wondering if a mini would be a good option for us to start with - something smaller for the kids to handle and learn to care for (brushing, feeding, etc.), less land needed, maybe lower costs? (although I have no idea feed comsumption, vet requirements, etc. - part of why I am asking on here).

Thoughts? I like to know somewhat what I am getting into so if they are a terrible idea for young children, that's all I need to know! If it's a good starting point, then we can consider it some more.

Oh, and I already have a shelter option - i have the old hoop coop from the chickens that 's just sitting in the yard. I was going to pull the front off of it and park the mower in it, but haven't taken the time to figure out bracing for it for if/when I do that. We have moved it a number of times - it's awkward, not the easiest, but not impossible. Just need to take down a section of fence and "roll" it on over!

I've had a few ponies and currently have a 39" mini and like any animal there are the good, the bad and the REALLY bad and because minis are so cute they do tend to be less well trained than larger horses and/or have "small dog syndrome" ;) so whether they'll try and bully your kids or be sweet pets depends on their individual temperament

They also tend to get fat quite easily and are prone to founder/laminitis/ hoof issues so a dry lot is necessity IMHO

I don't have any experience with miniature horses, however, I have a couple that are full sized. They are very selective grazers. You will have to mow or otherwise take care of their pasture or they will eat some spots bare and leave the other spots really tall. Rotational grazing actually works the best. If you had goats to run with the horses that would probably be good but I don't.

What is poisonous to a horse? I know the one area we have sectioned off is thick with buttercup - the cows don't touch it, not sure about horses (I just mowed it the other day so the beast has been tamed minus a massive fire ant hill we need to burn). The front yard that we want to fence in is pretty varied in what grows. I think grubs are killing off a good section of it so I need to figure out what to do about them. Lots of weeds, but most are safe, I think (been researching them). Clover, plantain, dandelion... chickweed, wild strawberries, wild violets... <br /><br /> __________ Thu May 26, 2016 8:38 pm __________ <br /><br /> I was just reading about the need for a dry lot, but they didn't go into the "why" aspect of it... good to know!

Is that just something where I can let the chickens peck it clean, then put a mini on it? Or is there more to it? DO I have to till it up?

Just found one option on CL that says the children have outgrown it - mini, cart and saddle for $800. So it looks like there are options out there that won't break the bank. We'll see what the lady comes back with that started this thought process. I mention it to DH and he hesitated, then said "You know, I am actually not opposed to that!" so that's a good sign ;) And is the one asking what's available, how much, etc. It's neat to see the huge variety in them for both color/markings and size! I was reading one that said theirs can pull a cart, and even a small plow!

I know there are quite a few places around here that have horses, so I assume I can find a farrier (sp?) fairly easily. I'll have to start asking around.

A dry lot is just a smaller area that is fenced. They will make sure it stays "dry".

I have alot of buttercup in my pasture also and yes, it is poisonous, however, as long as they have enough to eat they dont' touch it, at least mine don't.

My horses have always been pretty good at avoiding things that are bad for them. I can't say that all horses would do the same though. Mine love giant ragweed btw.

alforddm":3n5vzzd2 said:
A dry lot is just a smaller area that is fenced. They will make sure it stays "dry".

I have alot of buttercup in my pasture also and yes, it is poisonous, however, as long as they have enough to eat they dont' touch it, at least mine don't.

My horses have always been pretty good at avoiding things that are bad for them. I can't say that all horses would do the same though. Mine love giant ragweed btw.

So, starting out, do I need to just mow down the area really really short and they'll take care of the rest? I have a couple of areas in mind for possible grazing, trying to decide the best option. Once is already partially fenced... would need more than just the two electric lines (for the cows), but the posts are already there at least.

Don't have time to make a long post right now, and I'm not sure if I'm allowed to suggest another forum or not... but you should check out http://www.horseforum.com/. There is a ton of information on there, with many extremely knowledgeable and experience horse people :)

A few things to consider though, are the facts that even though much smaller then other horses, Minis are still extremely strong- and often smart- creatures that can still fairly easily hurt (intentionally or not) you. And also like large horses, they still need regular upkeep such as farrier, dentist, vaccines etc. But I'm sure you know all that :)

We had a large herd of more than twenty in the 80's.
Usually under 36 inches, they need little to no feed. They founder easy on any sort of grass.
Most people over feed hay and grain with these guys, and it takes exercise to keep them in show shape.
They tend to belly up really easy. Again go easy on the grain and pasture.
They are hardy in cold weather and will hair up like yaks. Most of our had a run in barn, where they could
come and go as they pleased, but even in a winter storm gale, would be out with their heads in the snow.
If you want to show them, you need to go to some local shows, as they old pony type is long gone for shows.
You can show the pony type, but they rarely win unless its in costume or trail, or jumper (performance ) classes.
The site that had a ton of pic and info is lilbeginnings .

I'd rather go for a small pony, myself. They tend to have better conformation, which means less vet bills and a longer life span because a messed-up mini can be one miserable creature.
As said above, minis often have "small dog syndrome" in which they think they are many times bigger than they actually are. I find I get bullied more by minis than ponies. The bigger the horse, the safer because the bloodlines get colder. (This is a general rule of thumb, not an accurate description of any given individual.)
Also, ponies can pull more weight than minis, helpful if an adult needs to get in the cart for safety's sake. Make sure, before buying a mini, that the kids take a turn with it too. Some minis will respect adults with all their self control, but when a smaller being is in charge of them, it can easily spell disaster.
Lastly, the kids need to understand that a horse is not a toy that you can put away when you're tired with it. A mini or pony can easily last more than 30, 35 years. I've seen one that was going on 50. It's a lifetime commitment.

Good luck in your search,
K

P.S. - Horses selective graze because their stomachs are extra sensitive to any sort of unusual substance, which means they leave weeds and wildflowers alone, only eating the good grass. Buttercups are, in fact, toxic to horses.

One thing you must do before getting a horse of any kind is read, ask questions, and talk to equestrians. I've had a horse ever since I was one year old and have been taking care of the whole barn with no help from my parents for years now, and I'm still finding ways to improve my horses' care and comfort. Research is vital, and a lot of it too. The last thing you want is a situation on your hands that you don't know what to do or where to go for help.

Latest posts

Back