show quality?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HollandLopper

Reaction score
Hi. I am getting a purebred Holland Lop from an ARBA registered rabbitry/breeder next month. the sire/dam just had a litter on 6/28. there was a singleton (single kit) born, a sable point kit.

I'm excited and hope to show.

dsc-0259.jpg

dsc-0230_1.jpg

Hello and welcome to Rabbittalk!! Lots of great information here! I know I have learned a lot from those more experienced than me!

My kids and husband show Netherland Dwarfs, Mini Lops, and Czech Frosty. One just added Mini Rex, too. Shows are a lot of fun and we enjoy a hobby we can do as a family. It sounds as if you are excited but I would caution you that buying/reserving such a young kit if your goal is to show may not be the most successful route. You may want to ask if there are older kits that have been evaluated for type to choose from, or consider waiting to see how this one grows out before "claiming" it. Just making a recommendation to hopefully help you have a good experience!!

It is a cute baby, though! Love the color!!

Is the breeder calling this a show quality rabbit? If so, they are out of their minds and I would look elsewhere.

An experienced breeder who knows their lines well can often ID show prospects at a young age but not that young! Usually 4-6 weeks. If you are inexperienced, I would look for a slightly older rabbit who is 4-6 months old. At that age much of their development is finished and you can better evaluate their type.

Ditto on what the others have said. Buying a baby can lead to heart break in the show ring, if you are buying for a pet no big deal (other than making sure old enough and healthy when time to come home that is). Holland Lops can look great as juniors, 3 month olds, and fall apart again until they reach 6 plus months (or some just fall apart and never come back ugh). Have you looked at the breed standard? Have you seen pictures of the parents? While no guarantee, parent information will help (2 big rabbits that max out of show weight are not likely to have show weight offspring for example).

Holland Lops are brutal in some areas, buying a young one for show is a bad idea. Not even the TOP breeders will pick out babies at 2 to 3 weeks for "show" quality. They may cull for obvious issues (genetic no no's) but nothing more.

Any one that is an ARBA memeber can register a rabbitry, you pay your due and then the $5.00 fee for registration of rabbitry name. There is no test, there is no verification....it is a great advertising tool but buyer beware.

No one can determine if a week old kit is "show quality" regardless of the breed and if you want to be competitive I agree you should look for an older rabbit

BUT

ANY rabbit, even mixes, can be entered into shows as long as they reasonably look like one of the ARBA breeds and have no disqualifying qualities ;) and depending on the competition that day you may even get a ribbon, or two :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back