Heinold Feeds

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
skysthelimit":1vvpjlvz said:
SatinsRule":1vvpjlvz said:
Not enough rabbit people in Ohio? Would to God that we had half as many active local clubs and breeders here in AR as you guys do up there.

Active, yes but I don't know them, not in the breeds I show. I don't have a network of rabbit people that I meet. I belong to the specialty club for Rex, about 10 people and I've only met one of them. They don't attend shows where I go because they live more than two hours from here. Most of the time I am the only Rex on the table.
I have one breeder I talk to (two if you count Frosted Rabbit and she lives 1 1/2 hours from me), she lives an hour from me, and as far as I know, there are no local breeders in the city of Cleveland or surrounding suburbs. If you look at any listing for rabbits in Ohio, the concentration of breeders are at least an hour plus from Cleveland. They don't have the same problems I do, because they are out in the country, where they have access to what they need. I can't even sell pets here, people are not interested in rabbits up here, which is why TSC stooped carrying what I wanted, not enough pellet sales. Mind you, TSC is at the edge of farmland, and no one is buying pellets there?

Man, if it weren't for Zoomie up in NW Arkansas, I'd have to go completely outside the state to find someone with whom I could have an intelligent conversation about Satins. Why on earth do you think I spend so much time going to shows in MO and IL? :p

Time, funds and an inconsistent vehicle keep me from going more than an hour from my house. I have seriously considered not raising Rex for show, cause I can't figure how I will every get any legs without any competition.

Sky I would consider raising a breed that you can get legs on at local shows and is also a commercial breed that reproduces well so that you have your raw diet for your dogs as well. Rex are cool but only if they are really working for you.

tm_bunnyloft":qy2i0pva said:
Sky I would consider raising a breed that you can get legs on at local shows and is also a commercial breed that reproduces well so that you have your raw diet for your dogs as well. Rex are cool but only if they are really working for you.

That would be NZ, but not real thrilled about the lack of color choices. But commercial breeds are not very popular anyway in Ohio. As much as I hate it, if it came down to changing breeds or not showing, I would stop showing.

Rex are my passion. But that is what the Woolys are for. The Minis and Hollands pay for food. They have a much longer show life than my Silver Fox and Rex ever will. Rex are done by 10-12 mos anyway.

Im tryin to get you some competion down this way ! lol

Myself and the SO both show at shows o we just need you and two other people for the shows my club has, that is if you are able to attend lol :D

My van won't make it to WV, or at least it might make it, but I won't make it back...

Now if people could bring the feed to shows...

skysthelimit":1gmztbak said:
My van won't make it to WV, or at least it might make it, but I won't make it back...

Now if people could bring the feed to shows...

With the way the economy is, I think any salesman would do well by bringing their wares to a show. I never heard of this type of feed. I think if a salesman would bring it to a show, more people would learn about this feed.

But so glad SatinsRule started this thread. I'm just so curious about the different feeds, plus being on Rabbit Talk the different ways rabbits are fed. The more knowledge the more ways you can actually think of how to best feed your rabbits with the best nutrition.

Rabbit Talks Rocks!

Karen

I've seen heinhold feed bags being sold at shows in Indiana and Iowa so far, and the Indiana show was where I bought my first bag. So they do have feed in some areas at shows.

Heinold is actually sold in several states. Most of them are in the midwest, but it's also sold in CA and the manager of the Farmersville feed mill seems very interested in opening up marketing in more areas.

As much as I love to travel, I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't be willing to pay an extra $4-5 per 40 or 50 lbs to get it down here. They have several formulas, but the one which jumps out at me is the 15-20.

SatinsRule":qmkasin3 said:
They have several formulas, but the one which jumps out at me is the 15-20.

We're using the 15-20 for seniors and mini rex, and the 17-17 for juniors and intermediates.

phillinley":q9nrqg34 said:
SatinsRule":q9nrqg34 said:

We're using the 15-20 for seniors and mini rex, and the 17-17 for juniors and intermediates.

If you don't mind me asking, why the different feeds?

SatinsRule":5x0kumor said:
phillinley":5x0kumor said:
SatinsRule":5x0kumor said:

If you don't mind me asking, why the different feeds?

17-17 has more ingredients for growth (most specifically higher protein content) while show formula maintains them at a healthy weight.

phillinley":17yyffaa said:
17-17 has more ingredients for growth (most specifically higher protein content) while show formula maintains them at a healthy weight.

Interesting. I did that same thing with the foster litter this past summer. The doe and litter were fed an 18% ration all the way through weaning, and the litter itself was kep on the same until 4 months of age. The cals weren't exactly filled out all the way at weaning time, but their bodies were solid as a rock. The whites were well-developed at weaning, but nowhere near as solid. Same litter, same feeder and waterer, same nursing mom, but different genetics and somewhat different developmental results.

I'll probably try it again with the next litters. I have 2 red does due this week. My fingers are crossed as I have been wanting a litter of reds ever since I got back into this thing. Probably should have gotten a couple of bags of 17/17 when I was in Farmersville last week. :x

Is there anyone still using heinold feeds? I've been searching info about this brand last few days and it seems promising. But I would like to get some feedback first. :) So if you are using what are the pros and what breed you are giving it to? Or if you use to give it, but some reason changed it, why? Although my biggest problem is where to get it. :D

Latest posts

Back