Tail up but won't lift

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ButtonsPalace

Reaction score
So I have a doe that is 5 months going on 6 and I would REALLY like to breed her but she shows no interest in bucks. I'm confused as to why because the bucks are interested in her and she's putting her tail up when I put her with the buck she just won't lift. She got into the right position and everything. Could it be because she got accidentally raised up until about 4 months with 2 bucks? I really hope I didn't mess up this pretty doe. I also have 2 month olds that are rubbing their chins on my hand?! *I've read this is a mating response if I'm not wrong and I'm wondering why they are doing it so young? Do I need to separate the boys and girls? *Sorry I kinda asked two questions in one*

They can rub their chin on stuff territoriality too, but I would still separate them if they're already two months old and acting like that so they don't fight. Sometimes does aren't the brightest. I'd try her with an experienced buck, and if that doesn't work, I'd just hold her rump up with my hand while he tries to mate her to give her the idea. I've had a few that wouldn't lift catch on that one - daughter of one of them just won a BIS a few months ago

I don't know how smart she is to be honest lol. She's such a sweet lovey little girl and she loves nose rubs but she's never acted like a normal doe would around a buck. I'm selling the 2 month olds off and they are very sweet with each other. I only have had one little buck and one doe rub me and I've separated them. There is 4 per cage. I'll put her back with him today and I'll try to lift her up and see if she gets the hint. The buck I've but her with is definitely experienced. The doe in the cage beside him is a week and a half and she's getting big so I'm expecting quite a few babies from her.

I bet shes just a newbie a still young enough not to get the hang of it:) I agree, putting her with an experienced buck can help. You could also let her mature a couple more months and try for a fall litter, or assist with the breeding if she won't lift. Best of luck!

So I figured I'd give her another shot and help her by lifting her. So this is the second time she's with the buck and she laid down with her tail up, I reached under her belly and I gently pushed her up. It wasn't until he did the scrunch that she screamed but it scared the crap out of me as well as made me feel so very bad. I wouldn't have lifted her if she wouldn't have shown signs of interest. I took her out of the cage and I made sure she wasn't bleeding or anything and all was well. I don't know if it just scared her because it's her first time or if it hurt her. Either way I don't plan to put her back in with him for at least another month. I don't care if she's not pregnant and I honestly almost hope she's not. I hope I haven't traumatized her either.

I bet things will be ok, but sometimes a bad experience can cause problems in the future. I am sure she wasn't hurt by the breeding, but maybe just more trying to tell you or him she didnt want it or like it? Anyway, keep us posted!

Back