why is mother rabbit keep grunting when being held???

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iloverabbits18

Reaction score
The rabbit that has had kits before a couple of months, is grunting when being held and stroked. Before when she didn't have kits, she would never grunt. She has had 3 litters of kits in the past and is still grunting. Is she uncomfortable or just doesn't like being held?

Usually it's a bit of a complaint but exactly how annoyed a grunting rabbit is depends on the rabbit. Some are just vocal and others you better stop handling if you like your skin intact. You have to pay attention to other behaviors to know if the grunting is serious or not.

Mine dont like being held when nursing, or for anyone touching their belly about a week or so before kindling to a few weeks after. I dont know if they are tender or just mistake it for kits trying to get under there when they dont want to feed them, but all my new mamas are like this for a little while. I also advise on getting to know your rabbits and their noises/personalities, but I dont think this is abnormal:)

She may be a little sore with feeding all those babies, but mostly the hormones just make her angry. All mine that were friendly before breeding have calmed down after their babies have been weaned. I would still advise not handling her too much, and just let her chill with her litter.

Latest posts

Back