My doe rabbit refuses the buck

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Telmatedi

Reaction score
I have two rabbits a lionhead doe and a holandlop buck.
On june 12th they're bred successfully and after 28 days i put a nest for her cuz i touched her tommy and it became bigger so i was sure she might be pregnant. But still there is no babies and it's 31st day after they breed . Yesterday again i put her near buck but she refused him and started to growl and ignore him. Can you help and explain what's wrong with her ...

Does have periods of time when they are receptive, and times when they are not. Look at her privates. If her vulva is slim and barley pink, she is not going to want to breed. If she is swollen and looks red to purple she should let the buck breed her. Look at her every other day and note how the color changes over say, three weeks. There is more to breeding rabbits than just throwing two together.
Your doe could have babies in the next couple days, they do vary, and are not machines. There are people here that can help you, but reading up on this BEFORE you breed might make your rabbits happier animals. Why are you breeding two different breeds anyhow? Cross bred animals will be harder to sell, and your breeds are small and not large enough to eat. Still you may be able to sell them for pets, but there are tons of those out there already. Its not a good idea to breed rabbits few people will want.

I'm pretty sure nothing is wrong with her.

In this case: wait. Keep a nestbox there for the next week.

Bred does are uncooperative with a buck, and quite vocal. Also, if she hadn't had a nestbuilding fit around day 20 it would also be a sign that it's no false pregnancy.

About that "colour of her parts"-thing, there sure is something to it, but it never worked for me. I just keep them together for some days, or even 3 weeks, if the doe is not aggressive. If she is I try it again a week later.

What works best is letting the buck out, and just dont lock the does door correctly, they will have it done the moment you turn your back - at least that's my experience, argh, had that happen today :x , again, and I'm running out of freezer space...

About what to do with the kits, you sure have a plan, right?

I'm planning to get Kitts and keep them as my pets.
These are my favorite breed and I'm getting some help to make sure nothing bad is gonna happen to them..thx for your advise ☺

You know, that concept is prone to get out of control quickly (here, it's called Rabbitosis, btw :D ) , like bucks not getting along, missexing kits and having another litter (been there, done that), having all that rabbits neutered is expensive (I think, in my experience your vets are more expensive than those here), not to mention trips to the vet (even me, raising rabbits for meat, will bolt for the vet when one of my does looks sick) , or,when keeping them all seperatly underestimating the daily workload, every day, for the next 10 years, every day. Every day. Holidays, being sick - always have someone ready to jump in. Tons of food, and poop. That means real money.

I don't know your age, but picture yourself 10 years from now, and reconsider if rabbits will be your main interest then.
You don't want your rabbits end up in a shelter.

I sure don't want to discourage you, but make you think. I made my share of mistakes, like most of us.

If she kindles a litter, well, we will help you with that as good as we can.
If not, right now, I would really reconsider breeding her again.

I would advise against cross breeding. I know you feel like you know what you want, but it's not difficult to get another pure bred to breed each other. If you do end up with too many they will sell better. In my experience, you have to plan not just for #1 senario (for you-keeping them as pets), but also for senario #'s 4,5,6,7......basically that anything could happen. You need to be prepared to cull, sell, fix, administer health care needs, and feed/house what you have. Anything can come up in life..

Back