Is chestnut chin an option?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
If not, what would this be called?

Dam - harlequin dutch
Sire - Chin (a little smutty in some areas)

I can see the "racing stripes" (can't remember the actual name, if there is one) that the other kits have had that silver out (tried to take a pic, the last one, but not sure if it came through the camera or not)... They are only a week old - curious to see how they grow out.

Looks like one of my kits! Their mom is a Standard Chinchilla x New Zealand cross and their dad is a Broken Black SM Lionhead that has lost most of his mane. This baby also has the white belly like yours. He started to look like he might go chin for a bit but he's brown. This is him..
Few days old:
13275001_116687368750111_1341067834_o.jpg
2 Weeks:
20160606_212743.jpg
20160606_212732.jpg
4 Weeks:
13479304_146067385812109_2099377062_n.jpg
I'll bring get them today and take better pics of them so you can see the color better, I'll also snap one of his cute tummy :)

heritage, has the dam of these kits ever produced anything other than full color?

This was my brassy chin kit. It was still quite a bit lighter, especially around the head.

10733994_10152579725424139_8846819168387164421_n.jpg

alforddm":ko6unjoj said:
heritage, has the dam of these kits ever produced anything other than full color?
This was her first successful litter with me... (third try... so it's a good thing for her!)

This is the dam:

I keep trying to decide if there are patches of color in there or not. When it moves there is a lot of "depth" to the coat, if that makes sense. It's not at all like the other set of babies that are chin colored. A lot more brown.

It looks like an ordinary chestnut kit to me. Sometimes high rufus chinchilla kits look a bit chestnutty at first and outgrow it..

Are to trying to determine if it's a harlequinized chestnut? I don't see any brindling in the pics.

That's what I am not sure... ODS was calling it a brindle, but he's 8 ;) But I have learned not to totally brush off th elittle ones on some things, they are a bit sharper than many would believe.

Although, I did have another harlequinized chestnut that was really really subtle until it grew out - again I kept looking at it, wondering if I was seeing things.

I'll take pics again in a day or two in better light with a better camera and see what it shows... <br /><br /> __________ Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:04 pm __________ <br /><br /> Here are a couple more pics - we got home a little late so it was right at dusk. My naked eye can see quite a bit more detail, but I am struggling to get it on camera. Brought them inside - not much better. Grr... I guess if I am patient time will tell, but... I'm not patient :lol:

Pictured are two from the harle dutch dam, the third is a standard chin color...

The one looks like it will be brindled as an adult. Generally you don't REALLY see it until they are about six weeks old. Some wait until they are a year so so before it shows.

Case in point:

three months old:

ten months old

Neat! I thought I was seeing brindle in the one... but as they wiggle and move the colors shift which plays tricks on my eyes and brain :lol:

So... what might that pattern look like on an older rabbit? Really curious now!

when I had them in my mini rex they looked like chestnut rabbits with dark patches of shading... it was rather neat looking in the rex with the short hair, in a long coated rabbit I suspect it would get lost. if my tort doe wasn't a lighter shade her side markings would be lost.

ladysown":2f3vrv7a said:
when I had them in my mini rex they looked like chestnut rabbits with dark patches of shading... it was rather neat looking in the rex with the short hair, in a long coated rabbit I suspect it would get lost. if my tort doe wasn't a lighter shade her side markings would be lost.
I figured it might get lost in the longer hair... bummer! It will be interesting to see what it does :) <br /><br /> __________ Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:01 pm __________ <br /><br /> Here are a couple new pics of the little brindled guy (or gal? I can't remember, even though I know I checked. I think gal). Can't tell what's going on for sure. Are there some harlequin undertones?

Brassy chin might be the best description of the other litter. Some are pretty grey, others have quite a bit of a brown tint to their backs. I didn't think to get pics of them...

^^ THAT'S WHAT ONE OF MY LITTLE BUCKS LOOK LIKE! I would LOVE to know what exact color that is. I've been told Chestnut but I don't think so I have a broken chestnut and it's not the same imho

The markings on him look just like the "racing stripes" I see on my Creme d' Argent babies. He doesn't have obvious color differences on his face that I can tell (the other one I had last year had a lighter and darker side) so I don't know if it would be considered harlequinized.

heritage":14el0g3h said:
ladysown":14el0g3h said:
I figured it might get lost in the longer hair... bummer! It will be interesting to see what it does :)

__________ Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:01 pm __________

Here are a couple new pics of the little brindled guy (or gal? I can't remember, even though I know I checked. I think gal). Can't tell what's going on for sure. Are there some harlequin undertones?

Brassy chin might be the best description of the other litter. Some are pretty grey, others have quite a bit of a brown tint to their backs. I didn't think to get pics of them...

This rabbit is chestnut. I don't see any really obvious harlequin makings but that doesn't mean that they aren't there or that he doesn't carry it. I have a harlequinized chinchilla that shows no physical signs of carrying harlequin. Most of the magpie or harlequin kits she throws are very lightly marked.

Back