Pellets ?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigfoot_158

Reaction score
How do you keep your pellets in j feeder dry during this highly humid days?

:yeahthat:
Also, my j feeders that are screened instead of solid metal seem to do better with our humidity. They keep most of the dust from building up and retaining all that moisture. I have one that is solid metal and I have been fighting it this whole time.

My J feeder are screen and the cages are hung in the garage. But the weekend of July 4 it got so humid that the feed swelled up and you could tell it was wet. They are still eating it and I have been putting less in more often. I would rather feed them 3 times a day vs having feed going bad. :D

We use crocks and any feed left over 24-hours is supposed to be dumped (kids don't always do this was judiciously as they should). Damp feed can go moldy fairly quickly and it is a real danger to buns. It sounds like you have a good plan of feeding less more often. Other than that, I think the only other option would be to find a way to lower the humidity in your garage, such as a dehumidifier.

Do you use bottles or crocks for water? We have some buns that like to play in their water crocks and can sling it into their feeders from quite a distance. I figure yu probably already ruled that out but thought I would mention it. It's just one of the reasons we are in the process of switching to bottles.

I feed less and aim for it to be cleaned up by the next feeding. With growouts I like full fed, but humidty will spoil the feed in a day. It gets hung up when it swells and they are without feed. It isn't worth feeding swelled pellets to growouts.

if your house [or some other area] is air conditioned, - you might consider storing your pellets in that area-- [if you are not doing so already...] When I lived in Florida, humidity was a big concern, and moldy pellets were something we always had to watch for...

fhjmom":1i788oe5 said:
Do you use bottles or crocks for water?

Yes I use the bottles.

michaels4gardens":1i788oe5 said:
if your house [or some other area] is air conditioned, - you might consider storing your pellets in that area-- [if you are not doing so already...] When I lived in Florida, humidity was a big concern, and moldy pellets were something we always had to watch for...

No problem with the feed in the bags. Just in the feeders. So I have giving less pellets but I do feed them twice a day so they clean it up really fast. Plus I feed them as much natural fresh greens and dry greens and Hay daily.

Thanks to all for comments.

Latest posts

Back