Maybe the ultimate rat bait

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaggieJ

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
We have rats. Not just in the critter sheds, but also in the mudroom, cellar and occasionally the kitchen. Our cat Jenny :catmoon: is very sweet -- too sweet to be the hunter that Marilla was. (Marilla was the cat in my avatar.)

In this very hot weather, fruit ripens faster than we can use it sometimes. Brian bought a huge bunch of bananas and you know how "fragrant" bananas get as they ripen. I can't stand ripe bananas, but Brian and Elsie the goose have been enjoying them and I've been putting the skins into the compost bin.

They've been disappearing like magic.

I wasn't certain at first, but the breakfast banana skins were gone this evening, and when I put the skin from Elsie's bedtime treat into the bucket, it was gone within an hour.

Okay, RATS! Now I know what you'd like in the live trap! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

One more idea . . . kind of gruesome. We have rat snap traps set but sometimes they catch a mouse instead. Something has been eating the dead mice very promptly. Next time, I'll put the dead mouse into a live trap and see what happens. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Hope you can clear them out or at least back them off to the outdoors. I don't mind spiders or snakes or bats, but I really don't like rats. Haven't seen any for quite a while now. Used the plaster mixed with food someone on here suggested. And also saw a mink in the barn and wonder if that was who cleared them out.
But banana skins--never would have thought of them to bait for rats. I learn so much on here.

I'd never have thought of banana skins either, Rainey, but whatever works.

You should bless your mink. Every time we've had a rat infestation, it has been mink or weasels that wiped them out. Be vigilant though . . . when the rat population is depleted, the mink may start on your chickens or rabbits. Sardines are an excellent bait to live trap mink.

It never ends, does it? :roll:

*shudder*

I hate rats... and roaches... and mice... but especially rats. When we (my parents and I) went to drop off DH at college shortly after he moved in they were running around everywhere - he was there early for marching band and I guess they still had run of the place. They were HUGE. What nightmares are made of...

Back