Breeding Questions

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrr

Reaction score
So two days ago I purchased a breeding trio of champagnes - two does and a buck, and a NZW buck to work with since I've been having trouble with my younger NZW buck (shy buck syndrome). I put both champagne females from the new trio in with the new bucks, and bam! The deed was done several times (and again today when I rebred). But when I put my 5.5 month old NZW does in with either of the experienced bucks, it just doesn't happen. They'll run in circles and eventually get caught and mounted (during which they will stay put and let him go at it) but no matter how long the buck goes at her he doesn't pop off. He'll keep trying until he's exhausted and then they just cuddle. What's going on here? Is he not getting in properly perhaps?

Then.. I put my mix breed doe in with both males (separately of course) and she absolutely PANICKED. She was making stressed out grunting noises the entire time and flying around the cage in a panic trying to climb the walls. She's kindled one litter before (before I got her).. so I'm not sure why she's suddenly so stressed. When I put her back in her hutch she buried her head in the corner and laid there for a good 15 minutes or so. Any insight?

Lastly.. with the female I mentioned above, the champagne buck did manage to pop off once with her, but couldn't catch her again for another time. Do you think that's enough to consider her pregnant?

Thank you in advance guys. I could really use any help I could get!

5 1/2 months is a little young to breed, in my opinion. Wait a little longer and she may be more willing. A doe can be bred with the buck mating just once. I don't count a doe pregnant until around 12 days after breeding when I palpate her.

I know fall-offs are what everyone says we're looking for when breeding, but at least half of our litters have resulted from breedings with not even one fall-off. Never tried palpating. Have only had one real miss when we put in a nest box thinking there'd be popples but nothing happened. And that was a first time doe--she "took" the second time we tried breeding her. Don't know how atypical our experience is. Just know that's how it's been for us and so when people are worried about whether a breeding was successful and wanting to see the fall-off I want to offer another point of view.

Back