Travel Cage Size?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

REDMIST

Reaction score
I have two breeds and I need to know what size travel/ show cages I should get.

First - Silver Fox - I would think 8x16 individual compartments are ok. So one carrier 24"x16" should be ok??

Second - Polish - I would think 6x12 individual compartments are ok. So one carrier 24"12" is ok?

I just want to make sure I'm understanding this correctly (because I've never been to a rabbit show before, so I honestly just don't know), but did you mean the 24 inch by 16 inch carrier would be split into 8 inch wide sections for each Silver Fox bunny? And the 24 inch by 12 inch split into 6 inch sections for the Polish? How long do the rabbits stay in these cages, normally? I know they're for travel/shows, so you probably don't want them to take up much space, but can the bunnies turn around in that space? Or are they not supposed to (if the answer is no)? I know horse people do crazy [to other people] things for shows (one of the geldings I used to help care for had a full body wrap to keep him clean the night before a show)...

Are these typical measurements for show cages, or what were you basing your estimations on?

Sorry for side-tracking, if I did, and sorry for not being helpful in answering any questions!

Those seem a bit on the small side to me - I've transported NZ & harlequin in carriers about that big as those you were looking at for silver fox, and they couldn't really lay down well, especially if your dishes are inside the cage instead of outside. I like the standard size for two hole carriers (dont remember what it is) for bigger breeds. Also, you may want to check the height - often with bigger breeds, I find the top of the carrier can rub against their back

Nymphadora - the cages are meant to be big enough for the rabbit to barely lay down and to turn around, but not too big that the rabbit can stand on it's hind legs or hop around, and small enough for easy transport and so the rabbit feels secured in for the ride. The rabbits stay generally from 1-4 days in these carriers, and longer shows (ARBA, WCC, local fairs, and I think ohio and maybe penn state too) offer larger cages to move the rabbits into once they get there, so a rabbit is never in there for too long.

Ah, thank you! Yeah, like I said, I've never been to a show before... so the idea is for the rabbit to feel nice and secure and not allow too much movement? I'm guessing that helps reduce injuries and such during transportation, too! Again, thank you!

Nymphadora, yes, you don't want the bunnies to be able to move too much on the car ride. If you have to slam on your brakes rabbits in a small carrier don't get thrown around.

Redmist, check out some cage suppliers. They have carrier sizes listed on their websites. I will try to remember to measure my carriers when I get home and will let you know.

The dimensions I posted are directly from a cage supplier. I was not sure of the correct size for the polish/ dwarf size rabbits.

Latest posts

Back