Sneezing and wet nose but no snot

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

capnsherve

Reaction score
Hey,

I am new to this website but the forums have been so very helpful!!!

I live in Minnesota where the weather has been in the 90's (not too humid) and the heat has been alternating with the rain. The rabbits are raised in a 10 by 20 feet colony on dirt with some rabbits in hanging cages overhead. I have been loving this setup so far.
I have 5 adult does in the colony. Three bucks in hanging cages (why I have so many is a long story!).
I have 13 (about 14 weeks old) in three hanging cages. On the ground with the does, I have about 40 kits of various ages. I raise rabbits for meat and fur.

Now to the problem. I have most of the rabbits sneezing with a wet nose. I immediately thought-- "SNUFFLES"!!! but there is no white snot or ragged sneezing. It sounds like a normal sneeze (there may be multiple sneezes in a row). Their noses are a bit wet but there is no white snot or matting on the paws.
I do have one rabbit that has white snot on his nose (no matting on the paws and I haven't heard him sneeze). I got him about 3 weeks ago and didn't quarantine long enough (so stupid!!!).

So what is this? Is it snuffles and it just hasn't gotten bad yet? Most of the rabbits have a wet nose-- do I cull them all? I hate to ask this question, but what would happen if you leave the rabbits (no culling) and let nature take cull, eg. if it's snuffles it will kill the weak and leave only the rabbits able to fight the bacteria? How can you tell it's for sure snuffles and not something else? How do I quarantine that many rabbits?! I don't want to use the vet and antibiotics on my meat rabbits.

I am new to rabbits and have made a lot of mistakes so far but I am learning so much! Any help is much appreciated!!! :D

This sounds iffy......do they drink from crocks? or hanging bottles? Occasionally mine will get a little water up their nose and sneeze, but that doesnt happen often with multiple rabbits at the same time. Sounds like it may be the start of suffles or some other problem....Best of luck and I hope its an easy fix for you!

They drink from a horse rubber grain thing... So like a crock. I'm thinking it has to be like a runny nose. I'm just not sure what to do...

Rabbits don't get colds or just runny noses. If it seems like an illness that is pointing towards snuffles, IMHO.........or possibly a hay or dust allergy.

Ok, so if the nose is wet, probably snuffles. I've spent all day with them and I am pretty sure that's what it is. I've separated into "cull immediately" (these are big enough), "white snot" (too small to eat), "wet nose" and "ok for now" cages. I got this image of white snot being very abundant and easy to see but on most of them, I really had to look. Thanks!

heat is a big problem for rabbits, if the area the rabbits are in is over 80 F - you may be having some "heat stress" wet nose and or face, elevated nose [head tilted back] rapid breathing... heat stress will lead to infections because of "stress", and cause a crash of immune system and inflammations of the respiratory tract.[Or heart attack and sudden death]... in areas of the country where rabbits are accustomed to higher temps 80 to 90 degree temps are less of a problem-- but is areas with long cold winters rabbits have a hard time adjusting to [and shedding fur for] high temps... give them more shade, or find a way to cool them...

Latest posts

Back