Lost 9 kits- very sad

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foresthomemama

Reaction score
Hi- new member here. I started my little rabbitry this spring. I had a wonderful first litter, my doe was a very good mom of 11 kits. One little runt died, but the rest are healthy and hopping around. Rosie, my doe, was bred again and kindled 11 more babies, all healthy two days ago. Everything looked great and I guess I trusted her too much, because this morning I found 9 dead kits in the nest. I think she put way too much fur on them for the summer and they died from the heat. They were a pretty bunch of babies. The dad was 1/2 Flemish giant and 1/2 checkered giant so most of them were white with black markings, we had 2 or 3 whites, and 2 black kits. Sad about this because I feel it is my fault for not checking on them more. We live in Arizona, but not in the hot parts, in the central mountainous parts on the Mogollon Rim where the temperature is more temperate. It was up in the 80's yesterday. I should have checked on them more and removed any excess hair, maybe even brought them inside after their feeding. I will be bringing the nest boxes in on any summer litters from now on. So sad.

Two babies left, I hope they live, but they are much smaller than the rest of the litter- they were the runts of the litter. Not sure if they'll make it, but I sat the doe on my lap and held the two babies to her teats and made them feed. They are inside the house now.

Sorry to hear about this, I hope things look up for you soon! Don't beat yourself up tho, its much easier to say "coulda shoulda woulda" knowing the end result. I am sure you were not purposely neglectful, and you will learn from the experience going forward. Not a fun thing to find I am sure, I would be sad too :(

Latest posts

Back