Has anyone tried stunning?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ButtonsPalace

Reaction score
So in my house has been an ongoing talk about how we plan to kill and butcher our rabbits. At first we were gonna have a friend do it, but he has issues with chronic pain, so that was a no go obviously. Then we found someone who was willing to buy them do all the work and make rabbit sausages out of them. Well I want to keep the bones,organs, skin, and ears for other uses and it would be such a pain to transport them all there then have to transport all of the other stuff back. Plus what a stressful trip for the buns D: . So then I said I'd do it. *You must understand I am an animal lover and I'm mostly doing this because of the homestead but I'm also doing it because what if one day there aren't any more grocery stores?* Plus eventually I might do our meat roosters too. So the idea was brought up of dry ice. Put them all in a big plastic tote with the lid cracked open, and put some dry ice in a pillowcase *so they don't touch it and hurt themselves* But I don't know where to get dry ice *Probably somewhere really obvious like the grocery store, I've never needed dry ice so I've never bought it* Well then someone brought up stunning. Apparently using baking soda and vinegar basically fills the air with O2 or CO2 *I was in the middle of cutting hair so I was half paying attention*. And the mix over-oxygenates, causes a high and then they slip away, I think this would be much easier than struggling with a hopper popper *Although if this don't work it'll be what I use.* But after letting them sit for about 20 min in the vinegar/baking soda air in the tote they are gone and you bleed them. Sounds like a good idea... But I was wondering if anyone else has tried it and what their experiences were with it.

I've read quite a few posts on here and other meat rabbit forums that the CO2 method does NOT work on rabbits. As burrowing animals, they can detect when oxygen levels are low and instead of drifting off peacefully, they are flooded with adrenaline and go into panic mode. It's not humane for them. It works great on mice, but not on rabbits.

If the hopper popper/cervical dislocation is still too emotionally difficult (I have not tried it yet, myself) then maybe consider a high powered pellet gun. It's what we use. It is VERY QUICK. And they don't see it coming.

No.. I just didn't want to have to pull that many rabbits to break the spine cord XD! I was being lazy >3< I'm glad to know that don't work! I'd rather put $55 into the Hopper Popper. I don't want to use the gun method because it makes them twitch a lot! From what I've seen of the hopper it don't make them twitch much. Plus like I said I want to keep vital organs so I don't want a bullet in there when I feed it to my cat.

I don't like having a projectile stuck inside, either... but I just don't feed the head to any animals (and use lead-free pellets) The vital organs, except for the brain, are all intact.

Well even if the bullet is lead-free and can be removed with everything intact, it still makes them twitch a LOT from what I've seen. I watched a video of one thrashing about the cage while the other bunny just looked confused and horrified... So that's not really my thing... So I've decided on the Hopper Popper. I think it would be the best thing for me. We've decided to give the bunnies a great feast of yummy veggies and fruit the night/day before slaughter so their last memory is a happy one :). I like the fact the hopper popper don't make them twitch a whole lot, plus it comes with the pretty awesome hanger to hang the rabbits on after.. I thought that was pretty neat. Plus it's cheaper *I think (Or so I've been told)* because the popper is $55 and a gun is about $100 plus you need gun permits which is a lot of paperwork I don't feel like doing as it's not necessary when their's a simpler solution.

I'm not sure why anyone would use a pellet gun inside a cage with other live rabbits. That's weird, and kind of cruel. We take each rabbit one at a time to another stall in the barn, set them on a bale of hay and pet them, then put the pellet gun right up against the back of the skull. Yes, they twitch, but one of us is holding the rabbit anyway, so once the pellet is fired, we pick up the rabbit by the hind legs and let the blood drip from the body. The twitching is a lot less violent if the rabbit is hanging upside down, as opposed to simply lying on a flat surface. It lasts about 30 seconds. It is NOTHING like holding a chicken that just got it's throat slit or head cut off - that's a real mess!

Also, you don't need any kind of permit for a pellet pistol. We picked ours up from Walmart. I think it was about $60. The only thing they had to see was that we were over 18. Our pistol happens to be a BB AND pellet pistol, so we can use it on squirrels, small birds, target practice, even chickens if we wanted. It's a handy multi-purpose device.

I'm really not trying to be argumentative or anything. If you want to use the hopper popper, that's great. It's definitely cheaper, and you never need to buy ammo or CO2 cartridges. I haven't tried it yet, but I am very apprehensive about tugging the life out of one of my bunnies, when I can just pull a trigger while it sits in a normal position. I'm squeamish. I'm 36 and I've killed about 3 dozen bunnies and maybe a dozen chickens. I can't watch my duckies get killed (hubby has help and I wait until the heads are off!) I find the pellet gun gives me a little more physical and psychological distance from the kill, even if I have to hold the rabbit or pull the trigger. The rabbit is just sitting on a bale of hay one minute, being petted - it's not anything the rabbit has never experienced before, and then - pop, the lights go out. I want to get to the hopper popper eventually, because I don't want to rely on CO2 cartidges, but I'll practice on a dead bunny first. I'm terrified of pulling so hard the head pops off!

I think part of my squeamishness comes from having tried to kill one of my ducks with my bare hands. She was attacked by a fox, which punctured her lungs and left her partly paralyzed in my yard. I was home alone with the kids and couldn't just watch her suffer... so I tried to break her neck. IT WAS AWFUL and I couldn't actually do it. I know a duck is not built like a rabbit. I had to get the axe to finish her off and I bawled like a baby while her crystal blue eye just watched me. I think that left me traumatized.

At least 2 out of 3 of the buns I process twitch and kick, sometimes for as long as a minute, and I do use cervical dislocation. And it is quick. I had one last month where the heart was still throbbing after skinning, eviscerating, removing all 4 legs, cutting the body in two, and removing it. And I've had muscles still quivering numerous times even after completing the process and having the parts soaking in a pot of water. It bothered me at first. But, then I realized that the animal IS certainly dead, and not feeling a thing. I don't enjoy the processing. But, if I don't do it, the whole purpose of raising them is voided. That is their purpose, their reason for being. I give them the best I can while they grow. And I try to sooth them before the deed. I even thank them for their life and contribution to mine.
Feeling people can never be totally comfortable processing their own meat. But, it is as natural as breathing in reality. And in the end, it gives you an even greater appreciation for life.

LPH_NY":2bz72f4a said:
I'm not sure why anyone would use a pellet gun inside a cage with other live rabbits. That's weird, and kind of cruel. We take each rabbit one at a time to another stall in the barn, set them on a bale of hay and pet them, then put the pellet gun right up against the back of the skull. Yes, they twitch, but one of us is holding the rabbit anyway, so once the pellet is fired, we pick up the rabbit by the hind legs and let the blood drip from the body. The twitching is a lot less violent if the rabbit is hanging upside down, as opposed to simply lying on a flat surface. It lasts about 30 seconds. It is NOTHING like holding a chicken that just got it's throat slit or head cut off - that's a real mess!

Also, you don't need any kind of permit for a pellet pistol. We picked ours up from Walmart. I think it was about $60. The only thing they had to see was that we were over 18. Our pistol happens to be a BB AND pellet pistol, so we can use it on squirrels, small birds, target practice, even chickens if we wanted. It's a handy multi-purpose device.

I'm really not trying to be argumentative or anything. If you want to use the hopper popper, that's great. It's definitely cheaper, and you never need to buy ammo or CO2 cartridges. I haven't tried it yet, but I am very apprehensive about tugging the life out of one of my bunnies, when I can just pull a trigger while it sits in a normal position. I'm squeamish. I'm 36 and I've killed about 3 dozen bunnies and maybe a dozen chickens. I can't watch my duckies get killed (hubby has help and I wait until the heads are off!) I find the pellet gun gives me a little more physical and psychological distance from the kill, even if I have to hold the rabbit or pull the trigger. The rabbit is just sitting on a bale of hay one minute, being petted - it's not anything the rabbit has never experienced before, and then - pop, the lights go out. I want to get to the hopper popper eventually, because I don't want to rely on CO2 cartidges, but I'll practice on a dead bunny first. I'm terrified of pulling so hard the head pops off!

I think part of my squeamishness comes from having tried to kill one of my ducks with my bare hands. She was attacked by a fox, which punctured her lungs and left her partly paralyzed in my yard. I was home alone with the kids and couldn't just watch her suffer... so I tried to break her neck. IT WAS AWFUL and I couldn't actually do it. I know a duck is not built like a rabbit. I had to get the axe to finish her off and I bawled like a baby while her crystal blue eye just watched me. I think that left me traumatized.

The ONE and ONLY reason I am ok with the hopper popper is because my doe Buttons had pasteurella and so they used something similar to it and said it was very quick and painless. It's not really tugging the life out of them. It's one pull and done. I just don't think I could shoot a rabbit. That sounds so silly I know. I've killed two small birds before by snapping their necks after my sisters cat would half kill them and then leave them... So after watching videos of the hopper popper it will only be used for the meat bunnies. I probably will eventually invest in a BB/pellet gun because I know eventually I will have to put older rabbits that are disease ridden down and I wouldn't want to use the same equipment. <br /><br /> __________ July 3rd, 2016, 2:28 pm __________ <br /><br />
Stephanie":2bz72f4a said:
At least 2 out of 3 of the buns I process twitch and kick, sometimes for as long as a minute, and I do use cervical dislocation. And it is quick. I had one last month where the heart was still throbbing after skinning, eviscerating, removing all 4 legs, cutting the body in two, and removing it. And I've had muscles still quivering numerous times even after completing the process and having the parts soaking in a pot of water. It bothered me at first. But, then I realized that the animal IS certainly dead, and not feeling a thing. I don't enjoy the processing. But, if I don't do it, the whole purpose of raising them is voided. That is their purpose, their reason for being. I give them the best I can while they grow. And I try to sooth them before the deed. I even thank them for their life and contribution to mine.
Feeling people can never be totally comfortable processing their own meat. But, it is as natural as breathing in reality. And in the end, it gives you an even greater appreciation for life.

I've discussed it with the family and for me they've decided we're gonna have like a little party the day before to celebrate the life of the bunnies and we're gonna give them a superb feast and all will be wonderful and stuff for them. I plan to take them one at a time as well!

The ONE and ONLY reason I am ok with the hopper popper is because my doe Buttons had pasteurella and so they used something similar to it and said it was very quick and painless. It's not really tugging the life out of them. It's one pull and done.

Our personal practice it to use cervical dislocation only on younger animals. After 12 weeks their spines start becoming much more difficult to pull apart. For rabbits over 12 weeks, we strongly prefer the pellet rifle.

Both methods can and do cause the animals to kick and twitch after death, or not, despite both methods causing near instant death.
I haven't noticed rabbits killed with cervical dislocation twitch any less than ones killed by pellet rifle, and we must have killed 100's by now.

So far, the only predisposing factor we have seen with that would be stress levels the moment before death. Our theory is that, if muscles are bunched in fear or anticipation of rapid movement before an animal is killed, their cells/nerves may have more stored energy that needs to be released. It might be why animals that pass in their sleep seem to be less likely to move at all.

The best method I saw on youtube was a hammer and the cheapest. I have not killed any of my buns yet so take it with a grain of salt. I have one bun mark for death and the rest I am trying to sell. So far six out of 16 have went to new homes. And at 15 dollars a piece I cant complain. :D The reason I only marked one for death is that I dont know if I can do the deed. When I start this adventure I had plans to use all the rabbit. Home tanning and such. I dont know if I and my family will like the taste of the meat. I have ate wild rabbits but its been 20 years or more. I plan to use the hammer method so I can save the brain for tanning purposes.

I've seen the hammer method and I would use it if it wasn't for the fact of how easy it is to mess that up. If you don't hit in exactly the right spot then they don't die... Or at least I wouldn't think so.. Just sounds way to sketchy.

ButtonsPalace":3djxcmd0 said:
I've seen the hammer method and I would use it if it wasn't for the fact of how easy it is to mess that up. If you don't hit in exactly the right spot then they don't die... Or at least I wouldn't think so.. Just sounds way to sketchy.

Practise on nails I never miss my thumb. lol

I do cervical dislocation - with that I know that even if they are twitching, there is no connection to the brain... I would be afraid I would miss with a pellet or bullet. To each their own I guess... that's why God made us individuals - how boring of a world it would be if we were all the same!

Cervical dislocation, "bopping", and shooting are all humane methods, if done correctly. The important thing is to choose the humane method with which you are most confident and comfortable.

One method of cervical dislocation that I don't recall being mentioned in this thread is what is popularly called "broomsticking."

I've never tried it so my description of it may not be perfect. The rabbit is placed on the ground. A piece of rebar or something similar is placed across the back of the neck and held in place with the foot. (They used to use a broomstick, hence the name, but people have found that something thinner works better.) With one foot on each side of the rabbit, you pull on the hind legs. The action is similar to the hopper popper but requires more coordination than I have. Many people have found this a useful method of dispatching a rabbit, so it deserves a mention.

I don't think I'd wanna do that. Imagine what broomsticking does to the rabbit, I'd think it'd be a terrifying way to go for sure.

Actually, it's quite quick once you get a rhythm going. Like every other method, it has a learning curve.
The only reason I don't use it anymore is I can't handle it physically, my hands and shoulders give out long before I'm finished processing

Broomsticking doesn't need to be any worse than a rabbit wringer, if done quickly and well.

My husband preforms cervical dislocation with just his hands. I like it best, as it's super fast, and the rabbits are completely unsuspecting. They go from carried comfortably, to dead, in about two seconds. I wouldn't suggest it for beginners though.

The hardest part of killing for beginners seems to be preforming the killing hit or pull with a complete "intent to kill" follow through.
If someone doesn't hit or pull hard enough, the animal may not die as quickly, or at all.

I'd think pellet rifle would be a bit easier for someone's first kills, since a bullet hits just as hard no matter how little experience the person behind it may have.

ButtonsPalace":2tbn4wd3 said:
I don't think I'd wanna do that. Imagine what broomsticking does to the rabbit, I'd think it'd be a terrifying way to go for sure.

3mina is right. It is quick and it is as humane as the hopper popper. I didn't use it myself because I have osteo-arthritis in my knees and I am not particularly well-coordinated - I'd have botched it for sure! For a healthy, active person it is a good method: fast, humane. low-cost and low tech.

I agree with Zass that a pellet gun is probably the easiest method on the person dispatching the rabbits, for the reasons she mentioned. It is humane for the rabbit too, which is the first priority.

Zass":1s7n28p3 said:
Broomsticking doesn't need to be any worse than a rabbit wringer, if done quickly and well.

My husband preforms cervical dislocation with just his hands. I like it best, as it's super fast, and the rabbits are completely unsuspecting. They go from carried comfortably, to dead, in about two seconds. I wouldn't suggest it for beginners though.

The hardest part of killing for beginners seems to be preforming the killing hit or pull with a complete "intent to kill" follow through.
If someone doesn't hit or pull hard enough, the animal may not die as quickly, or at all.

I'd think pellet rifle would be a bit easier for someone's first kills, since a bullet hits just as hard no matter how little experience the person behind it may have.

I have good enough aim to be able to do it but my issue is what if I pull the trigger right as the bunny moves and I shoot it in the wrong place? I don't know I feel like somehow I would find some way to mess up using a gun :x With the hopper popper I've seen you pull down not really fast but hard.. I don't know how to explain it but I've watched several videos on youtube as to how to do it correctly. I'll probably mess around with it for a bit before I kill an actual animal with it.. <br /><br /> __________ July 8th, 2016, 11:16 am __________ <br /><br /> Well I have knee problems.. I was told my left knee cap isn't in the position it should be *I think that's how to say it..* Basically most peoples knee cap is like a slight angle and mine has too much of an angle. So knee problems kinda take out the idea of the broomstick. As far as a pellet gun goes, I have amazing aim, I just would rather not, I mean I would if it was my only option but it would be preferred not too.

Latest posts

Back