Milk Thistle

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JudyM

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I read that this should be given before flowering. Is that because it tastes better or because it is no longer safe?

I also read that it is a liver tonic. Should I be careful in how much to give? I usually only give a few weed leaves anyway (because I don't know what I'm doing!)

I guess it's just about the taste, or whatever properties that bitter stuff has, they may be less bitter when young. It's the same with our garden salad, which is derived from this plant.
I don't care, they get some as long as I can find any, and they like, or leave it. As a small part of their diet, which consists of everything aceptable safe and green that grows here I don't worry too much about maybe slightly toxic plants anymore.

Perfect example of why I insist on including Latin names of plants! :lol:

Lactuca serriola (which many of us know as prickly lettuce) is a great weed for rabbits, but it's a different plant altogether from the "milk thistle" that I was visualizing.

Sorry, Maggie, I should have known better! I've read many times where you asked that :( .

I don't know how to answer it though! It hasn't flowered yet but I think it's the silybum marianum. The only problem is that in the picture of the leaves it looks like they are variegated? But in the picture of the them in habitat it doesn't look like they are variegated. We have mainly thistle with purple flowers around us.

After reading about the silybum marianum I think I'll avoid it anyway,
but would still like to know what the "feed before flowering" means - I've seen it in relation to other weeds.

The "feed before flowering" advice can mean simply that the plant becomes unpalatable to rabbits later in the season, but it can also indicate a plant that takes nitrates (or nitrites - never can remember which) from the soil and concentrates them in the foliage. In some plants, especially those grown on heavily fertilized soil, the concentrations can reach dangerous levels for some livestock if eaten in quantity. When feeding a good variety of plant species, it may not be a problem as the rabbits can make their own choices from the greens fed. Many people feel that the rabbits are able to make good choices based on their needs.

Sometimes these directives have been passed down through generations of rabbit raisers by word of mouth. The reasons sometimes get lost along the way. Another one is "never feed mangels before Christmas". As I understand it, it is a question of sugar in the roots changing to starch during storage. But even now I'm not sure of the reasoning. Michaels4gardens has an old-time book with a title something like "Feeding Rabbits and Chickens on Scraps". He may know the answers to some of these questions.

Edited to add: Just thought of something that needs saying. The plant Daucus carota (Queen Anne's lace, wild carrot) is safe, except for the seeds. The seeds have contraceptive properties and should not be fed. I wanted to mention this because late in the season, after flowering, it becomes a concern. You can feed all other parts of the plant right through the season.

Glad to know that about the seeds! We have a lot of QAL but I'm afraid to try it at the moment. I'm 97% sure it's QAL, it doesn't have the black marks on the stem but it doesn't smell like carrot either, unless my smeller is losing power! Maybe someday I'll bring one to the nursery and check.

Hmmm . . . To me, Queen Anne's lace has a distinct carroty smell, but smells are very subjective and I know I can smell things that other family members don't notice. This site may help you confirm your weed's identity:
http://www.weedinfo.ca/en/weed-index/vi ... g-features
Scroll down to the last two pictures. QAL flowers have a red to purple fleck near the centre of the flower. If you dig up a plant, you will find it has a whitish tap root, not as thick as a garden carrot and somewhat hard and stringy.

I think the reason so much attention is paid to look-alike plants is because the hemlocks (not to be confused with the tree) are so extremely toxic. This site may be useful:
http://www.nwplants.com/information/whi ... rison.html

Edited to add: Apparently some look-alike plants can be toxic even to handle, so look for the red or purple spot on the flower until you are confident of its identity.

Latest posts

Back