Growth Rates. (need advice)

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've had many litters with different breeds. Crosses, purebred, etc. The one thing I an noticing is that from what I can tell of other other breeders growth rates. Mine apparently awful (by my own standard.) From looking at posts here on RT, and a few groups on FB it seems most breeders 8-12 week old grow outs are the size of some of my 6-10 month old grow outs. My 8 week old kits are still rather small. NOT thin at all, just small in overall size. I've also found that I have a high than I would like lose rate during weaning.

What are some things I could do to increase growth rate, and prevent lose during weaning?

Genetics play a huge role in kit size and growth rates.
You can certainly help push them towards their full genetic potential, and reduce enteritis in kits.
To start, take a long hard look at your feed, including how it's stored. Low levels of mold toxins can wreak some havoc at weaning, and slow growth rates.
Consider supplementing with alfalfa hay or alfalfa cubes.

Coccidiosis is another likely culprit for weaning and growth issues. It's easy to see hepatic coccidiosis in the liver, but not always easy to identify it in the intestines.

Back