Magpie Question

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miniquilts

Reaction score
So in an effort to increase the meat production on my magpie Harlequins I am considering breeding my blue magpie doe to a REW New Zealand. Am I correct in my assumption that the kits should come out chin and magpie ? I am not very good with colour gentics

Almost

You should definitly get chinchilla but rather than magpie you should get harlequinized chinchilla as it is highly unlikely your NZ carries non extension or harlequin

Also, steel chin/silver tipped steel is a strong possibity as this gene is quite common in REW rabbits

If self is carried by both parents you may get self chin blacks, or really dark steel chinchilla which look like they are "black" but actually agouti based :cheesysmile:

Thank you so much Dood ! So I should save two back and breed the two to produce magpies ?

heritage":10v2i5gt said:
Harlequinized chinchilla?? Anyone have a pic? :p

Oh. and the dark steel chinchilla? How does it differ from just a steel?

It makes a silver tipped steel rather than a gold tipped. It's very pretty.

This is apparently the best photo I have of one.

6HaSDun3tA3CuRmfMRo3IomVqT0buTF8Wc46aMdimRi-nnZ-3TZBDShMnzhV-7hUGFgutghHSSwkvA9sCQldLarFwAxEMvkskqpOvt6GKDetU-cPB_FPiQFw2BDGnSbG676to7NQGao8hS0nBa3CPuQmdgrgnJlROB1dvM6roakbClfmYLQT9_WYQvXwMJf8jyI_xDJuToqlxoNGwBoqpO2ISUQfgMf34mElPsFl07BK4XvsErQEIInATHTYgEt9s8hAqtg2BPM8SejzSoyHJy8tQ2iuEVzCP3kUGNHonRaJwVHkmNtPhIxFgjNi5Z75Cpg3y7khZvdmN-Wq6ENIxdaWDyvrb7bxpvbL-rrYiJFNp9FmhuJsmZ_NASnvMrED64fuWaK8AMtPfOJPwGLs6jZJfzY1R96ENGolUGty9QrU9mpVOgn3xRQ7Dy9ud4yCt7_ig_JQyCDI2-PnYyvUI7W9anIxcROy82HIwrMjmc6ph4s929ADX_jdre2rU56NMuFIRR8ZSjGADBIm7RMDDsy6Zo_ic8j8jUYQvCACC9CWopvvxezxMit0_kdQj3tS7mGGji-wmUmm0jW4kJ_SbTyVGx3xGqc=w901-h676-no

From my experience, non-extension is fairly common in new zealands, due to folks breeding reds with other colors.

It is possible to see magpie first gen with that.

heritage":16epdgkw said:
Harlequinized chinchilla?? Anyone have a pic? :p

Oh. and the dark steel chinchilla? How does it differ from just a steel?

A dark steel chinchilla, sounds like a silver tipped still with very little, or no tips showing. It'd probably look mostly black, and may or may not have blue mottling on the eyes.

Attachments

• 100_8453.JPG
    100_8453.JPG
    333.6 KB · Views: 615
miniquilts":251ktq1d said:
Thank you so much Dood ! So I should save two back and breed the two to produce magpies ?

The offspring will all carry harequin or non-extension (depends on whether the doe is "ej ej" or "ej e") AND dilute ;) so if bred back to the magpie you should get some black chin, blue chin, black magpie, blue magpie and several others

Is this the same doe who carries REW? If so you should get around 50% REW when bred to a NZWhite buck :x

Zass made a good point about NZRed possibly being in the history, the colour is quite rare here so I'd be very surprised if an Ontario NZWhite carried non extension, but that may not be the case in your area and you could get magpies from the pairing :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back