Abscess on side of face?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powellanimals

Reaction score
Well, this is a first for me so I am not sure what to do. Rory here has a large abscess on the side of her face. I looked at her teeth and they seem fine, she is still eating and drinking normally and running around, even chasing the chickens, as she usually does. It feels like a large golf ball, hard, although the skin is stretched on it so it may be liquid inside? Not sure if she got bit by something or if this is an infection but I am leaning infection based on the internet research. Anything I can do now? or should I wait until Tuesday and try the vet (although vets and rabbits make me nervous too). Has anyone dealt with this before? Thanks for the help!

Edited to add->Her eye seems fine and not bothered by this.

20160702_145223.jpg

20160702_145217.jpg

20160702_145203.jpg

Abscesses are not uncommon in rabbits. They can be the result of a scratch or bite or other injury, but if they are recurrent then Pasteurella may be involved. The pus inside the abscess will be a thick white paste and it can be difficult to drain it effectively. I've used hydrogen peroxide (3%) to clean out an abscess; it liquefies the pus and helps to remove it. Treatment with a subcutaneous injection of Pen G with Procaine is also helpful. Our rabbit made a good recovery from the abscess.

Try a search of this site for threads about treating abscesses using the search feature in the sidebar at the right.

Latest posts

Back