White junk coming from her nose.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ButtonsPalace

Reaction score
Hey, so I noticed this just this morning. My doe Buttons who should be pregnant has had a runny eye which I was told was from allergies, It hasn't got better or worse. About two days ago I gave her a nestbox with some cardboard shreds in it and she took majority of it out, yesterday I put in some hay and some time in between she's built a nest. This morning her nose looked like it had snot or maybe a piece of fur stuck to it so I bent over to look at her from underneath more or less and I noticed her nose on one side is snotty and wet.. The other side looks ok, it's the same with her eye.. Is this allergies? or is this something I should really be concerned about? I can't pick her up or move her until after she's had babies because she'll over stress and freak out.

White snot is every rabbit breeder's nightmare because it is a classic sign of pasteurella. Many people terminally cull the affected rabbit without question. Certainly she should be quarantined while you assess the situation. Can you move the whole cage with her in it so she is nowhere near the other rabbits? Care for her last and then wash thoroughly and change your clothes to avoid spreading the infection.

Who told you it was allergies causing the runny eye? And allergies to what?

MaggieJ":1rxicxtu said:
White snot is every rabbit breeder's nightmare because it is a classic sign of pasteurella. Many people terminally cull the affected rabbit without question. Certainly she should be quarantined while you assess the situation. Can you move the whole cage with her in it so she is nowhere near the other rabbits? Care for her last and then wash thoroughly and change your clothes to avoid spreading the infection.

Who told you it was allergies causing the runny eye? And allergies to what?

On another forum I can't remember. I can't move her until after she's had the babies, now that I know this I most definitely will move her and take her babies, she can live in my bathroom *I guess* I'll find somewhere separated. Is there anything I can give her to help her *I'm going to search google as well but I want real people advice* Um, her cage is connected to another one but there is a solid board between the cages and she's about 6 inches away from the babies.. It would honestly be easier to move all the rabbits away from her. Umm, It was thought to be allergies because she just had a runny eye and because it came and went away and then came back again. But it's been very hot/cold and rainy/dry, the weather has been crazy and everybody here has had crazy allergies.

Unfortunately those babies could be affected to. They are not safe to rehome or sell to others, you could be spreading a disease. You can try to breed out the problem by keeping all the litter and terminal culling those that fall ill as time goes on and after/during breeding. BUT please do not sell, it only makes the disease spread.

The idea is to not stress her out any more than must, it is far better to move her as a result. Strict quarantine MUST be followed, even then you run a high risk of passing it on. It is not good :(

I looked up herbal remedies and I've already gave her Comfrey, and I plan to do a chamomile eye wash * I have dried chamomile I'm not using a tea bag * I'm also trying to figure out how to give her garlic. All these things should help her. As soon as she has babies like I said they will be removed and I will be culling them for meat once they are old enough. I know now I can't breed her with intent of selling babies, But is it at least safe to breed her for meat? Or is that out of the question now as well? <br /><br /> -- July 1st, 2016, 11:12 am -- <br /><br /> So I've seen in some places it says garlic can hurt the rabbit, yet a site I looked at before said it was safe and actually VERY good for them, now I'm torn. Do I give her garlic or not? I have some capsules from nature's way and I was planning to pop one open and squeeze it into her water bottle and then wait for her to finish off her bottle, it's odorless, dyeless, etc.

I know nothing of treatment because snot unless caused by injury or some thing shove up nose...means immediate death in order to provide the highest chance of non transmission to other rabbits even though any that would show such would have to be a new rabbit in quarantine area that's completely outside the normal rabbitry. I take no chances, I've seen what snot can do.

That is the big question you'll have to answer, are you willing to risk EVERY rabbit you have just to breed her? The longer she sticks around, the higher the chances of sickness to others. Even if you follow a quarantine 100%, you change cloths/shows/wash/etc there's always a chance some one else that doesn't know any better can ruin it.

Pasteurellosis is a chronic disease.
It can go into remission, but an active infection will reappear whenever the animal is stressed. First time I saw it in my rabbitry, the entire herd caught it and I had to put everyone down. A few years later, I tried giving a new rabbit antibiotics, it took a full year, but the white snot definitely returned. Quickly euthanizing any snotty bun has thus far been the most effective way of dealing with the disease.

If it's pasteurella, and it sounds like it, it's not something that will ever truly go away.
If you mess up quarantine, you could end up having an entire herd of infected rabbits that are unsellable. Quarantine is not something to drag your feet on, or postpone. Moving a pregnant doe may result in losing a potential litter....Not moving her can result in losing all the rabbits in the room with her.

Well the idea is to treat the snuffles, unless that's not an option in which case I'll wait it out a few more days and see if she has babies and if not I'll get her put down. I mean this is really rough because the rabbits I'm starting with are mostly pets. Her especially. I've had her for 3 years now and she's never been sick before. Not even a little, so I don't understand why this is happening. I want to see if she's having babies because I don't want to kill her and all of them. I guess I should sacrifice having babies for the well-being of all mine. I'm going to bring her and the nest box in and she'll be separated from all the rabbits and I'll give her about 2-3 weeks and see if she starts healing. Is it possible this isn't snuffles?! I mean it's highly likely it is. She's sneezing and her nose is snotty as well as a runny eye.. I'll see if I can fix her it'd suck some butt if I had to kill her... If I do it might be the end of my rabbitry. I intended for her to grow old and die of old age not disease. But I guess you can't exactly pick and choose what you get all the time huh? man this sure is rough having to think about putting her out..

White snot = BAD

One thing to consider, if you do treat her and she appears symptom free, what are your plans for her? Is it worth the risk to the rest of your rabbits and potentially someone else's herd (if you sell any, or even just visit someone else with a rabbit)? I had a gentleman who was either very naive about pasteurella, or just wanted a quick sale, sell me sick rabbits (this was pre-RT so I didn't know that rabbits couldn't get "colds" and that what he was dealing with in his HUGE rabbitry was so much worse than he made it out to be... nor did I know anything about quarantining). Had I had all of my rabbits together, it likely would have wiped them all out. My son lost his beautiful, pedigreed Cali buck that he wanted to try showing, and I had to cull an entire litter of cute, fluffy 5 week olds b/c the rabbit that was housed next to him was a carrier and passed it along to her babies.

It is a BEAST and not something I want to deal with ever again. I pretty much stopped shopping for rabbits after that... I think I have bought 2 in the last year+, and even then I was overly cautious with the new purchases.

It's all ok now. I had a very nice friend put her out of her misery. She's a high stress rabbit and stress is what causes this. I haven't stopped crying but I know it's for the better.

Latest posts

Back