Resting boards

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lopsofun

Reaction score
How many of you use resting boards in your wire-bottom cages? Should I worry about rabbits getting sore hocks?

I don't bother, they should be bred to have good feet with thick fur. If they get sore hocks even with good fur, they need to be removed from breeding.

ChickiesnBunnies":3w1j0wsb said:
I don't bother, they should be bred to have good feet with thick fur. If they get sore hocks even with good fur, they need to be removed from breeding.
I use them. SOme really like them and others just potty on them. So those ones i take out. It is very hard on a rabbit to be on cages ... In my eyes anyways. Heavier the rabbit is ,more i see with sore hocks. To prevent it from happening use a board ... Now there is some rabbits that are bad and those i will not use for breeding. But the heavy breeds cant help it.

We use them. I ordered enough so they get changed out weekly and sanitized. They go in a bucket of bleach solution for a day or so then get rinsed and air dried.

I am going to be buying some next month for all my rabbits. I have one and love it. I noticed some rabbits have no problem with no resting board. Some of the rabbits I got from a breeder their hocks were a little more worn than I like. I gave them boards for now.

I've been lucky, I don't have resting pads in all of my cages but I haven't had any trouble with sore hocks at all with my Rex. The rabbits I ever had that had them were NZW, go figure :shock:

3mina":1qen98nq said:
I've been lucky, I don't have resting pads in all of my cages but I haven't had any trouble with sore hocks at all with my Rex. The rabbits I ever had that had them were NZW, go figure :shock:

I have a brother and sister, 7 mos old. She has sore hocks, he does not. The difference is easy to feel, her fur is softer, his is more coarse and more dense. The soft fur is what the fancy wanted, but the softer the fur the higher the incidence of sore hocks. But the dense, plush fur, also desirable, comes with a harsher coat texture.

Perhaps the NZW did not have a dense a coat as your Rex.

If you have a table saw[or even a circular saw] you can make your own resting boards out of those heavy plastic lattice that come in 4'x8' panels. We cut them into squares and they are really sturdy and I like them A LOT better than the grey plastic ones that I've seen for sale. They come in white, brown and green. They cost about $35 here. We got about 36 from one panel, so they cost $1/each
They look like this
lattice.jpg

I am thinking of getting a resting mat for my pet holland lops..... but I am wondering --If the the mats are plastic, do I have to worry about him chewing on it?

I raise Florida Whites, and I use the plastic resting boards. This breed only gets up to 6 pounds, and they probably don't need them. Nevertheless, I offer it to them anyway. I put a piece of oak in each cage, and they chew on that instead of the resting boards. Mind you, I just started raising rabbits about 6 weeks ago. I still have a lot to learn. :D

I put this plastic mesh that people use as gutter guard in the bottom of the cages for the bunnies- poo can fall through it. I think the roll is like 30 ft at least and I got it at the hardware store for $12. There are different brands and the one I have has bigger holes.

Attachments

• plastic_gutter_guard_mesh_201232384740451_s.jpg
    plastic_gutter_guard_mesh_201232384740451_s.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 3,176
I use big 12x12 ceramic tiles. I got them for free and they have the bonus of being easy to clean and offering a little coolness in the summer.

I use them too. I just put a piece of plywood in. I'm not going to cull a rabbit or take it out of my breeding program because it gets sore hock, just doesn't make sense to me especially if they are good breeders.

I am looking for 4 sturdy cages to house rabbits in the house on very hot days, when I will be gone and cant keep them cool. Or very cold days in the winter. Short stays but must have pull out tray, urine guards, galvanized. Shipping is killing me. Looking at KW cages so far best price. $57.90 each plus 17 shipping. Anyone have any suggestions for better price?

The kids break 10x10 boards in tae kwon do and bring them home. I set them back together and put them in a cage corner that's not the bathroom. Some rabbits seem to like them. If they soil the boards up, I throw them* in the fire pit and that rabbit doesn't get a resting mat.

*The boards, not the rabbits. :lol:

Back