What to plant?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JessicaR

Reaction score
I am trying to figure out what to plant beside the garage either this fall or next spring, any ideas?

About the area, it is about 20 feet long and 2 feet wide on the north side of the garage. Doesn't get much sun, the only sun it gets is very early in the morning, by 8:30 am it is in full shade. I do not have a green thumb :oops: so I need something hardy that I cant kill, and is low maintenance :lol: What I don't want is more hostas, we already have a bunch of them around the house. Oh and nothing I have to replant every year. :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

How about a leafy greens garden

Lettuces, chard, kale, mustard greens, leafy chicory don't need full sun and actually are less bitter tasting if grown in a shadier area, but won't do well if it's a really dark shade - :doh: that sounds clear as mud ;) If you let them go to seed they will come up each spring and as a bonus you can feed them to your bunnies :p (mustard greens are particularly prolific and I have to weed them from my garden each spring)

We have a patch of shade loving wild flowers, mostly trilliums, ginger, mayapples and ferns (and enjoy fiddle heads for dinners in the spring) on the darkest side of the house but they also need quite a bit of water, thankfully one of our eaves troughs comes out there and it stays relatively moist all year

Sweet cicely. If you can find plants of it that is :) It's hard to get started but super easy to grow! Perennial herb, very sweet and animals generally love it. Can handle shade, mine gets a lot of it and seems very happy (waist high)

Dood":2y2l5rby said:
How about a leafy greens garden

Lettuces, chard, kale, mustard greens, leafy chicory don't need full sun and actually are less bitter tasting if grown in a shadier area, but won't do well if it's a really dark shade - :doh: that sounds clear as mud ;) If you let them go to seed they will come up each spring and as a bonus you can feed them to your bunnies :p (mustard greens are particularly prolific and I have to weed them from my garden each spring)

I never thought of greens! I always assumed they needed lots of sun. I might do a small section of greens.
Don't worry I understood what you meant by dark shade. The area is shady but it is more of a light shade for most of the day.

My daughter wants to plant a Japanese maple tree there, but I am not sure if that is a wide enough space. Also considering hydrangeas. :hmm:

Back