A few random questions

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ButtonsPalace

Reaction score
1. Is it possible to put a doe on a diet and them lose shed the fat from around their ovaries,etc.?
*I ask because my one doe looks chubby but when you feel of her she doesn't. She used to be a lot smaller than she is now. This is the third time I've tried breeding her and it's successfully been stress free... So maybe babies?
2. I have a doe that has somehow managed to tear off her toe nail?!? She was sharing a cage with her sister but after seeing a blood spot on the sheet that looks like she might've just chewed it off.. (They are barely 2 months old)
3. I have a buck that doesn't seem to finish? I've seen the doe lift and he goes and goes but never pops off. He has done so once successfully but that was after a day of trying for about 30 minutes and he only popped off once or twice and hasn't done so again since. I think the doe is pregnant because she's eating like a cow and acting hungry all the time.
4. Are pregnant does supposed to be this hungry?! I don't think I've ever seen her eat so much except when she is. On the back of the bag of food it says 1 cup max for a pregnant doe *Maybe 1 1/2* and I feed her a little over 1 cup every day and within about 30 minutes her food is usually gone or almost gone. Should I feed her more?!

1) You can put a doe on a diet. Depending on how overweight she is, it may take some time. Unfortunately you can put her on an exercise regiment to target specific areas. You'll never know if she shed the fat around her ovaries unless you cut her open.

2) You didn't ask a question. As to what happened... who knows?? It's possible she injured herself, her sister injured her, it was a freak accident, that little kid was messing around with it, a rat, etc. etc. etc.
Without more info your guess is as good as any.

3) He could use some more practice it sounds like. Or perhaps he will never quite figure it, and you'll have to find a buck who can figure it out. Is there any other reason he might not be finishing? Such as he's a dwarf breed and she's a giant breed; or these are wool rabbits and she might need a trim down there; or are you sure she's lifting; are you sure he's intact maybe one of your rabbits castrated him and you weren't aware; and on that note are you sure he's a male; or maybe he isn't rabbit you think he is and you've mixed him up with a junior?

4) You know your rabbits better than anyone here. If this one get ravenous when she's pregnant; then that's just her nature. As long as you aren't overfeeding her, keep up the normal feeding regiment. Try adding more hay to fill her up.

Hope some of this was helpful. :)

Well they are inside.. Shouldn't have been a kid... Could've been that she tried jumping off of the pool table onto the couch or something else and caught it.. Wouldn't explain the blood on the sheet that's covering the pool table though.. I kinda think she may have just chewed it or that her sister did it maybe. It was her back foot. The crate is what they were in but they were really only put up at night during the day they got to roam about on the table.
Basement 4.jpg
As for the buck. He's definitely a boy and definitely not a junior. He's full grown *Big Boy*, I'd say he weighs about 10 lbs.. Same as the other buck. They are both Silver Fox. No my does are by far not small.. Here's a pic of him and then one of the doe I bred him too. He's so pretty! I would hate it if he never learned.. He did like I said get at least one or two goes so maybe he will have some babies from Butterball.. Gawsh they would be so cute! I would definitely keep a buck of his that was the same color and just make him an indoor pet possibly. He's such a sweetie pie
Sailor 1.jpg
Buck ^^
Doe vv
Butterball 1.jpg <br /><br /> __________ June 22nd, 2016, 4:07 pm __________ <br /><br /> I do have a dwarf buck however who managed to impregnate the doe shown above and they had 2 babies and then he had another 9 with Butterball's daughter who just turned a year old

Nice rabbits!
Thanks for the extra info. It's always good to rule out the obvious answers like "whoops it turns out they were both bucks".

2) cont. Maybe they the got in a fight or some self grooming gone awry. We will never learn until they develop that rabbit translator, lol. Until then keep an eye on it and hope she heals up.

3) cont. The other possibility is maybe he did finish and something prevented the normal signs from happening; such as he was backed up against the cage and didn't "fall off" at the end because he was propped up. The likely answer is he just isn't doing it right and needs more practice. Keep breeding him until his instincts finally kick in.

Alright.. Sounds like a pain in the bum but it's doable (talking about the buck) he's been dead center of the cage and it seems like he's going and going but never a pop... I know what it looks like when they lift and she's been lifting, at first she got annoyed and tried to mount him and I had to pull her out. The second day he finally popped off at least once that I seen and I think that once might've been all it took to get her pregnant... If nothing else he'll just be a pet he's just so darn cute I couldn't give him away XD. I've had worse injury than this one on her toe *different rabbit* and she healed up and had a litter and is a wonderful mom, although she seemed a bit overwhelmed when they first all came out of the litter box *Bunch of lazy babies at 3 weeks I had to take out the nest box cause all they did was sleep all day haha! Not a single one was curious enough to climb out.*

I going to ask the stupid question sorry for it. Have you been trimming their nails? :)

Yes I try to keep their nails trimmed. The only time I don't is when I have a pregnant doe in which case I wait till the kits are born and then do it. He tends to chew his nails and keep them short though. But not ALL of his nails. Just 4 of his back toes (2 per foot) and about 1 or 2 on the front feet.

Back