What is the most efficient time to butcher?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kent

Reaction score
Hi folks. Please provide as many answers on this as you can. If I am only interested in a rabbit that will be presented to my customers cut into small pieces, what would be the most efficient age to process them? Or, at what age will they be most efficient at feed conversion? I plan to eventually breed several hundred does. Of course, they must be large enough to be recognizable as rabbit meat. I am open to whatever breed gets me the best efficiency since my market cares little about a stray hair on meat. I don't need to worry about a 5LB target weight since I only target the market for small pieces pre-cut.

Usually rabbits growth curve starts to level out around 8 weeks old and that would be the most efficient time to butcher, however it will depend on several factors such as climate, environment, diet, genetics and some may tapper off earlier or later than 8 weeks

I've always been told that they should be butchered by 8 weeks for best food ratio.

Unfortunately I have yet to begin my meat rabbit journey, so I can't answer any of your questions. Your topic has me intrigued though. Will you be setting up a large operation in the near future then? Is there any government/agency inspections that you have to undergo, to be approved to sell the quantity of meat you will be producing? And will everything be done on your site (breeding, raising, butchering, packaging)?

From what I've read, different countries/states have different laws about selling domestic rabbit meat... it seems most small rabbitries find it easier to trade rabbits (or their meat) for other goods (chicken meat/eggs, pork, home-made items, etc.) rather than try to follow all the rules before they are properly able to sell meat in larger quantities. I haven't heard much about how larger facilities are set up or run. But I do like to learn. :)

My head is reeling with the expense, that several hundred does would consume, (plus bucks) Cages, risk of disease losses, housing (hopefully separated to prevent disease spread, etc etc. I hope you have lots of money, space and time. I would try a dozen for a few months first, as most people do not find farming rabbits to be that profitable. You could make a profit but if it takes ten grand, to make one grand, its a ton of work, for that kind of income. Not to say it can't be done, but do a lot of homework first. It usually sounds a lot easier than it is. So, go with gusto, but carefully, carefully.

Kent":2ay41eww said:
Hi folks. Please provide as many answers on this as you can. If I am only interested in a rabbit that will be presented to my customers cut into small pieces, what would be the most efficient age to process them? Or, at what age will they be most efficient at feed conversion? I plan to eventually breed several hundred does. Of course, they must be large enough to be recognizable as rabbit meat. I am open to whatever breed gets me the best efficiency since my market cares little about a stray hair on meat. I don't need to worry about a 5LB target weight since I only target the market for small pieces pre-cut.

What breed of rabbit are they?

@ bigfoot_158 "What breed of rabbit are they?"

The breed actually depends on what you guys recommend though I am leaning towards the usual NZW and/ Cal unless they are more efficient breeds (Dutch, Florida White?). Remember, I don't need the breed to reach 5lb, just the most efficient for an end product of small cut pieces

@ BlueHaven » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:04 pm
"My head is reeling with the expense, that several hundred does would consume, (plus bucks) Cages, risk of disease losses, housing (hopefully separated to prevent disease spread, etc etc. I hope you have lots of money, space and time. I would try a dozen for a few months first, as most people do not find farming rabbits to be that profitable. You could make a profit but if it takes ten grand, to make one grand, its a ton of work, for that kind of income. Not to say it can't be done, but do a lot of homework first. It usually sounds a lot easier than it is. So, go with gusto, but carefully, carefully."

Actually, I have been getting US$5.60 per LB so the profit is good but I only have a dozen rabbits. And I pay US$12.00 for a 50LB bag of pellets.

Kent":ne8ls5x6 said:
@ BlueHaven
Actually, I have been getting US$5.60 per LB so the profit is good but I only have a dozen rabbits. And I pay US$12.00 for a 50LB bag of pellets.

I don't think BlueHaven meant entirely the start-up or running costs for the rabbits themselves (correct me if I'm wrong, BlueHaven) but for a rabbitry on the scale you are planning I would imagine you may need to hire some folks to help you run the place. Sure, a dozen rabbits are easy enough to work with, but when you're talking about a hundred rabbits, it's not just feed costs you have to consider in the price of raising the rabbits. I don't see how such a large rabbitry could be entirely operated by one individual, or even a small family; there will be the breeding, feeding, and making sure everyone has water, sure. But you will probably have to be even more vigilant about disease in such a large set-up (one sick rabbit can go through the whole herd like wildfire), and I can only imagine the number of hours (or days) it would take to process the rabbits for your customers. The wages for the people to help you in the business will begin to eat at the profit margin, probably more than the food costs. I still think it's manageable (and a fantastic idea for consumers who want to purchase a variety of meats outside of the general cattle/pork/poultry industry), but I also see how the profits may seem bigger than they actually turn out to be.

As a comparison, I sew, and I have done many commissioned pieces. While I do see a profit, it's almost negligible when compared to the price of the materials and the number of hours spent on it, so I normally only take commissions from family or friends. If I were to charge even slightly higher than "minimum wage" for the hours I spent on some of those pieces, I wouldn't have any buyers for the end product.

I don't want to discourage you (in fact, I'm really hoping your business thrives), I see the situation similarly to BlueHaven, though (I think).

Nymphadora":3qxg2chu said:
Kent":3qxg2chu said:
@ BlueHaven

I don't think BlueHaven meant entirely the start-up or running costs for the rabbits themselves (correct me if I'm wrong, BlueHaven) but for a rabbitry on the scale you are planning I would imagine you may need to hire some folks to help you run the place. Sure, a dozen rabbits are easy enough to work with, but when you're talking about a hundred rabbits, it's not just feed costs you have to consider in the price of raising the rabbits. I don't see how such a large rabbitry could be entirely operated by one individual, or even a small family; there will be the breeding, feeding, and making sure everyone has water, sure. But you will probably have to be even more vigilant about disease in such a large set-up (one sick rabbit can go through the whole herd like wildfire), and I can only imagine the number of hours (or days) it would take to process the rabbits for your customers. The wages for the people to help you in the business will begin to eat at the profit margin, probably more than the food costs. I still think it's manageable (and a fantastic idea for consumers who want to purchase a variety of meats outside of the general cattle/pork/poultry industry), but I also see how the profits may seem bigger than they actually turn out to be.

As a comparison, I sew, and I have done many commissioned pieces. While I do see a profit, it's almost negligible when compared to the price of the materials and the number of hours spent on it, so I normally only take commissions from family or friends. If I were to charge even slightly higher than "minimum wage" for the hours I spent on some of those pieces, I wouldn't have any buyers for the end product.

I don't want to discourage you (in fact, I'm really hoping your business thrives), I see the situation similarly to BlueHaven, though (I think).

I can get each rabbit slaughtered for less than a dollar. Also, the wages here are about $80 per week per person, 40 hours per week each.

Wow, I didn't realize wages were so low where you live. Sounds like it won't be so hard after all then (I was imagining wages a little more similar to what we have in the US, $7-8/hr).

To get back on topic though, is the 8-week butcher time the most efficient for NZ/Cal? Is there a smaller breed that converts feed better than the NZ/Cal or reach a good weight earlier? Remember my concerns are to get a meat rabbit that produces an efficient amount in the shortest time. My market does not care if it is 5lb at live weight or 4lb at live weight since the product will be pre-cut small pieces. Of course, this rabbit has to breed well with good size litters with good mothering traits. Any other thoughts on other breeds or when rabbits start to become inefficient at feed to meat conversion? <br /><br /> __________ Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:52 am __________ <br /><br />
Nymphadora":kjr2b5yo said:
Wow, I didn't realize wages were so low where you live. Sounds like it won't be so hard after all then (I was imagining wages a little more similar to what we have in the US, $7-8/hr).
The official rate is even lower but I choose to pay higher since you get better results and happier staff (from what I have seen others do).

Florida whites are a smaller type of meat breed and Dutch were once used as a meat rabbit but i don't know if the modern stock would be as useful.

My particular bloodline of Mini Lops have a surprisingly fast growth rate, so much so that I crossed them to my American chinchillas with great success

You'll just have to experiment or develop your own bloodline of smaller meat rabbits

JMHO--
Large meat rabbit breeds [like New Zealand, or NZ Cali cross] will yield a good, fast growing, meaty fryer.. [although individual smaller breed does will sometimes come close to this production it is unusual]. If you are going to have 200 + does, you cannot take time to mess around with pet breeds, or developing something useful from pet breeds. -you need genetically proven meat breed rabbits. Usually the feed conversion target is reached between 8 and 9 weeks. - after this time body weight maintenance , and preparation for sexual maturity. begin to eat away at feed conversion. -- best of luck...

Do you like rabbits 200+ worth? :shock:

Is your meat going to be boneless? Or chopped up bone in? Just curious about your market, mine is for packaged legs and loins.

Is your market there or will you have to create it?

What is your heat like? That will make a difference to your rabbits and your breeding success.

How much experience do you have with rabbits? Its a huge learning curve and can cut into your profits hugely.

What kind of building/shelter are you going to put your rabbits in/under? 200 is a huge amount of space needed, esp as its not just your 200 breeders but your grow outs needing space to grow as well.

Grumpy is your man for raising huge numbers of rabbits quickly, he is AMAZING! If I were going to be going that large scale I would be searching every post he ever made.

What rabbits are available to you? Rather than breeds you might just have to go with what you can get and breed up. Nice thing about rabbits, you can tailor make your own breed relatively quickly.

I had great success with NZs but found them really boring with pelts that were not marketable for me. Your needs sound like JUST meat so if you can get them - and be sure they are a production line rather than just big bunnies CALLED New Zealand - you cant go far wrong with them.

Good Luck! It sounds a wonderful plan.

GBov":21mazbts said:
Do you like rabbits 200+ worth? :shock:

My dream setup is to have several large installations and have several thousand rabbits and watch my trucks making their deliveries. So, yeah, 200+ is just for starts.

Is your meat going to be boneless? Or chopped up bone in? Just curious about your market, mine is for packaged legs and loins.

Chopped up bone in

Is your market there or will you have to create it?
Research and testing indicates that there is a huge unserved market

What is your heat like? That will make a difference to your rabbits and your breeding success.

80's degrees Farenheit year round, extreme weather is low 90's and 70's

How much experience do you have with rabbits? Its a huge learning curve and can cut into your profits hugely.
Been trying my hand with a dozen or so for year +

What kind of building/shelter are you going to put your rabbits in/under? 200 is a huge amount of space needed, esp as its not just your 200 breeders but your grow outs needing space to grow as well.

Style from FAO paper used in Southern Califonia A-frame with open sides

Grumpy is your man for raising huge numbers of rabbits quickly, he is AMAZING! If I were going to be going that large scale I would be searching every post he ever made.

I have tried to read every Grumpy post so far. Ideally I would like to spend some time with him and carry home some of his stock

What rabbits are available to you? Rather than breeds you might just have to go with what you can get and breed up. Nice thing about rabbits, you can tailor make your own breed relatively quickly.

Would like to import my stock although the local 4-H has assisted some of the guys with NZ and others. Not sure about the local quality though since most breed for a large animal at 5-6 months, even 9 months.

I had great success with NZs but found them really boring with pelts that were not marketable for me. Your needs sound like JUST meat so if you can get them - and be sure they are a production line rather than just big bunnies CALLED New Zealand - you cant go far wrong with them.

I just need fastest growing meat animal for my market. They are just numbers to me, not to offend anyone. I do care them well since that is better for the numbers and easier on the family. I hear Altex makes an excellent herd buck.

Good Luck! It sounds a wonderful plan.

Back