Register

I HATE stomach bugs...

A place to vent about what's bugging you. Please keep it civil.
Site Admin
10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 61,409.00

Re: I HATE stomach bugs...

Post Number:#16  Unread postby MaggieJ » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:27 pm

Heritage, anyone suffering from this kind of problem needs to stay on clear fluids until they no longer throw up or have diarrhea. Flat ginger ale or 7Up, diluted apple juice, popsicles etc. Later add Jello and then later still a small amount of pureed applesauce, a handful of dry breakfast cereal, saltines, a bit of plain boiled rice. It's like with the bunnies... reintroduce normal diet very slowly.

If you don't feel confident about this advice, please check with your doctor. If he tells you I am crazy... well, I can stand that! ;)
Sojourning in 1894 . . .

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 36,700.00

Post Number:#17  Unread postby akane » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:23 pm

You can end up with a problem with food for a long time. Ginger helps the stomach so the ginger "beer" (not alcoholic) I get now works even better than the nearly clear ginger ale that is with the regular soda and just has a little flavoring added. Lots of ginger and test foods. Sometimes rice and saltines work, sometimes fruit works.... Obviously that amount of fruit isn't tolerated right now. Fish is best to try for meat. It can take many months to stop having mild symptoms after some meals. I had the carb induced kind the longest where I couldn't even eat rice and crackers for about 4 months. I had lots of soups, potatos, sweet potato, and corn for awhile.
http://s1321.beta.photobucket.com/user/takakageri/library/
Failing might just mean you are trying to climb instead of swim https://youtu.be/evathYHc1Fg

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 6,427.00

Post Number:#18  Unread postby macksmom98 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:30 am

Banana was good to test the waters with, any part of the BRAT diet works well when easing into eating again. Lots of fluids is also great advice. Sorry to hear it's lasting so long, hope they recover quickly!

Site Supporter
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 10,884.00

Post Number:#19  Unread postby FourRingCircus » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:37 am

MaggieJ wrote:Heritage, anyone suffering from this kind of problem needs to stay on clear fluids until they no longer throw up or have diarrhea. Flat ginger ale or 7Up, diluted apple juice, popsicles etc. Later add Jello and then later still a small amount of pureed applesauce, a handful of dry breakfast cereal, saltines, a bit of plain boiled rice. It's like with the bunnies... reintroduce normal diet very slowly.

If you don't feel confident about this advice, please check with your doctor. If he tells you I am crazy... well, I can stand that! ;)

See, that's the thing, they had been able to keep fluids down no problem, up and playing around, every time I asked them how they were feeling they were good to go. Starting out with the BRAT diet (as mentioned by macksmom) is the usual rec from the doc... The BRAT diet is supposed to help "thicken" things up, especially in cases of diarrhea... BUT if it's not the run of the mill stomach bug like I am used to dealing with, I'm guessing it's likely not going to recover the way I am used to either.

YDS was up before me (surprise surprise) and has already helped himself to a banana for the morning... I guess we'll see how he does! Thankfully most of his favorite and accessible foods would be BRAT approved. (Side note, that kid is quiet! He woke me up one morning at 7:30 with train noises... by that point he had already had an entire track built in the living room! And I am not a heavy sleeper...)
Formerly known as "heritage" :)

Homeschool mom of 4 little ones - 9, 8, 6, & 4!

Our Four Ring Farmstead journey will be on hold for a few years as we take on a new adventure in WV! Maybe a new focus on gardening in a cooler climate...

Previous