What do you use to sanitize wood nest boxes

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

REDMIST

Reaction score
I have pine nest boxes and use three of them between the 6 does I have. When I remove the box from the cage I clean out all the nest material from the box. I wipe out the box with a cloth and let it sit in the sun for a day to dry out. What should I use to sanitize wood???

After cleaning off the stuck on stuff I spray (saturate) the wood with a borax and water solution, then set it in the sun to dry. I've only raised one litter with rabbits but I did this all the time when I raised and showed fancy pigeons. (seraphim - they're gorgeous!)

For cleaning water bottles I've been throwing a couple handfuls of thyme into a gallon of boiling water and letting it steep until it's cool enough to handle. Then I use it to wash the bottles. Any residue can't harm the rabbits because they occasionally get some thyme along with other herb trimmings in their fresh feed. And thyme has strong antiseptic properties. Plan to clean the nest boxes with it this summer in the break between spring litters and fall litters. Then will leave them out in the sun which is my favorite natural disinfectant. I think several other herbs would work as well but I have lots of thyme so that's what I use.

I use ammonia. I usually just pour some into a bucket and fill it with water (this obviously dilutes it) and take a scrub brush to them. Its supposed to be the best for killing anything in wood, and has worked fine for us:) You could also use a spray bottle and spray it on, and I dont have any exact measurements on ratio....

We spray anything we want to disinfect with alcohol and then let it dry and sit in sun if that's possible. The alcohol will evaporate and kills just about anything.

Latest posts

Back