Is she for real? lol

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macksmom98

Reaction score
We bought a new doe this weekend and she is presumed pregnant, and was due yesterday. We have been watching her since Sat along with our other Holland Doe, who we bred a couple of weeks ago and moved inside to get to be pregnant and give birth in the nice air-conditioning. Then today, I go to feed and find our other Holland Doe with a mouth full of fur and going nuts trying to yank as much out as possible. She was housed with her 13 week old son up until a week ago, but that would mean she was bred 30 days prior when he was around 9 weeks? That wouldn't be possible right? I am guessing it's a false pregnancy, because there is no other way she has been with any other males, unless my kids are involved in some funny business (I am asking them this evening, but really doubt it)......

When in doubt, put in a nest box! ;) I guess animals can be just like humans with the occasional "oddball" that goes through early puberty?? Or it was just a couple weeks ago and is a false pregnancy. Does she tend to nest early or right on time? I have had one or two does that like to make and remake nests for a couple weeks leading up to delivery...

macksmom98":bpudoc8q said:
She was housed with her 13 week old son up until a week ago, but that would mean she was bred 30 days prior when he was around 9 weeks? That wouldn't be possible right?

Oh it is possible. Improbable perhaps but not impossible. The miniature breed reach sexual maturity faster than the larger breeds. And while you probably shouldn't try to breed a 9 week old buck, that doesn't mean he can't impregnate a doe. I have heard of 12 week old large breed NZ bucks impregnating does, it doesn't surprise me that a 9 week old HL could as well.

Take heritage's advice. Assume she's pregnant! Assume she could be pregnant until 31+days after they last shared a cage. It could be a false pregnancy. It could be a weird coincidence. And it could mean babies. Best to be safe than sorry.

And if it is pregnancy I guess you now know that your kits can mature that fast. :)

All of our cages have attached nestboxes so we are always ready for anything here:) I would just be shocked! Shes gone thru several false pregnancies with our buck who was a dud, and mostly just haystached. I have not seen her pull out fur much until just before kindle, and never so fervently than what she was doing this morning. If it happens it happens I guess, although I will be extremely floored if there are babies in the next when I get home, because he was so young.

Not impossible, wouldn't it be a good surprise though? Least you would have some babies. I hope they matched each other well. It happens lol. I didn't think a 9 and 10 week old could breed either but I've had MR and ND do it ugh.

Well I do know them but they are always surprising me! It would be good, although I would not have ever matched them together. They are obviously mother-son and then they are the exact same coloring. So a small litter of healthy babies would be best, or a false pregnancy. She's still next building this morning, so something should be about to go down or shes just winding down on it.....shes an excellent mother, and I have her for sale because her crown is pretty small and I am trying to get some better traits out of my litters. So whatever happens it will work out:)

Back