Queen Anne Lace

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

REDMIST

Reaction score
I have several bales that seem to have dried queens anne lace in the bales. Or at least what we call it. Is this ok for rabbits to eat? I have been trying to pull out the stems as much as possible.

I really recommend using Latin names when identifying plants for feeding rabbits. Please check the link below to confirm we are talking about the same plant. It is also known as wild carrot and the Latin name is Daucus carota.

http://www.eattheweeds.com/daucus-carot ... carrots-2/

It is definitely edible for rabbits, as it is genetically the same as our domestic carrot, just not selected for improvement. Only the seeds are problematic, as they have contraceptive properties -- not what you want for rabbits.

The problem I see with feeding hay containing Daucus carota is that once dried it is hard to be sure of its identity and the hay may also contain the seed heads. So I am not sure how to advise you concerning the safety of the hay.

yes this is what I am seeing in the hay. What I have is the flower head dried with the stem. I am pulling this out as I see it to be safe.

seeing as your info says PA I would guess it is likely to be queen annes lace. but as said above, it could be hemlock which is highly poisonous.

I am in eastern ohio (just an hour to Pittsburgh) and we have tons of QAL here. A while back I had done some searching on QAL and its supposed toxicity, mainly relating to abortive qualities if I recall off the top of my head.

to error on the safe side I am pulling out anything that is looking different. So far no issues from anyone and its been a week and half since I started feeding the bale.

Thanks again

Back