Rabbit overdue? What to do now

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oando

Reaction score
My rabbit accidentally got pregnant by her son. I'm not sure that exact date it happened, but I know it has definitely been over 31 days since I relized she is pregger. I can feel the kits inside her still but I can't feel them moving (I think she may be pregnant with only 2). What do I do? If the kits are dead, will she not know to deliver them?

Something will happen, she will deliver them live, dead, or they could mummify.....its hard to say for sure and they will seem to stop moving towards the end of pregnancy, because it does get tight. Have you seen any little bunny kicks? Or do you know what to look for for that?

I haven't seen any bunny kicks (she is really fluffy and hard to tell tho). This is her 3rd litter, and with her other litters I could feel the babies moving around just by placing my hand on her stomac. And I can't now. Is there anything I can do do help her go into labor? And also will it be difficult for her to deliver the kits now?

You can give her a couple of fruit-flavored Tums, as sometimes a calcium deficiency can cause kindling issues.

Do you have a ballpark figure for the date she was bred?

If she goes another week or more, you might want to try giving her lavender. It is supposed to cause contractions that will empty the uterus. I don't know much about what it does, so it would be good to do a search on the forum to read up on it before doing it.

I've looked into lavender quite a bit and I've read that it causes them to abort anything in the uterus.. But I've also read they won't eat it unless they need it. I've also read that a lot of people give it to their does after kindling to make sure they've got everything out. Fresh Lavender is the best but I've heard it don't grow until summer *But I asked in April so it might be in season now*

Miss M":2tstabe1 said:
You can give her a couple of fruit-flavored Tums, as sometimes a calcium deficiency can cause kindling issues.

Do you have a ballpark figure for the date she was bred?

If she goes another week or more, you might want to try giving her lavender. It is supposed to cause contractions that will empty the uterus. I don't know much about what it does, so it would be good to do a search on the forum to read up on it before doing it.

I believe she got pregnant around May 10th (give or take a few days) but I am almost certain she has been pregnant by May 15th.
I will try and give her a tum and I will look for lavender to give her.
Is there any chance the kits may still be alive, and if they are, will the lavender kill them?
Thank you everyone for the advice

Posted by Marian from here on another forum:
"Fresh or dried lavender is used to help a doe go into labour. It has been my observation that if the does need it, they'll eat it, if they don't need it, they'll ignore it. Sometimes after kindling I will feed it just to make sure that everything has been expelled. If the doe had a long kindle or if she was very late."

Here's some more stuff but please wait until someone responds to what I'm saying about this second part before you actually do it. I found this on another site and haven't tried it for myself, So I can't guarantee it'll work or how well it will work.

"Gently massaging the doe's belly for at least 5 minutes will cause the doe to produce natural oxytocin which, in turn, induces labor. You can also place the doe in with a buck and allow him to mount her, but not to make contact. Be prepared... the kits are usually born within 5 minutes after!"
http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/livest ... labor.html

I have read that lavender will abort kits, but I don't know if that includes full-term, viable kits.

Yes, it is true that rebreeding can stimulate labor. Preventing contact is not necessary. In fact, I would think that a "successful" mating would be more likely to stimulate the release of the needed hormones. I haven't heard anything about kindling usually happening that quickly, but it wouldn't surprise me if it usually happened within 12 hours. If it was going to work for that litter.

Thank you every for the advice. I will give her some tums tonight and massage her belly. And I will let her with my buck for a few minutes.
If no kits are born by morning, I will try the lavender.
Do you think there is any chance of them being born alive?

Interesting.

Two weeks ago one of my does was overdue, some days in my reckoning, first timer, 3rd breeding attempt, I really was quite sure then that she again wasn't actually pregnant although she looked fat, but she always does. She wasn't happy to be put in with the buck, quite vocal, after he mounted her once, without fall off, I put her back in her hutch, the next morning I had 9 wrigglers.

I'm not so sure now if she really was overdue since she was with the buck for several days, but very late for sure.

I really hope it's completly impossible for sperm surviving somehow and rebreeding her :x , she already looks fat again :lol:

Need to make pictures of that litter tomorrow, there aren't many with same colours in it, and one tiny, but active runt...

Still no kits,but I haven't tried the lavender yet (can't seem to find any) I can still feel the kits in her (but I can't feel them moving). I tired the tums and i put her with my buck a couple times. I'm hoping she will have them tonight or tomorrow. But I will keep looking for lavender to give her.

Preitler":1wfebt0i said:
Need to make pictures of that litter tomorrow, there aren't many with same colours in it, and one tiny, but active runt...

^I would love to see pictures of them :)

I have a rabbit it is her first litter and I know she is pregnant but it is day 36 and she still has not had the babys.I gave her lavender yesterday and she at it. Is there anything I can do to get her to give birth?

Latest posts

Back