It's been a while....

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikegurl

Reaction score
....but I'm still raising rabbits! I still have Dovetuft...the best mother I've met! She preps the nest early, raises the fattest kits, and passes down her nest making obsession to her daughters. We were able to purchase a Rex pair - a blue doe and black buck - from Jessica Decker, one of the best Rex raisers in the country. They were way too expensive, and haven't performed well. The buck seems to be fine, but the doe! She has an unpleasant personality and trouble raising a litter. Her first was born in the middle of winter, and she did great....until she peed on them at a couple days old! The second litter was a complete failure, but I wonder if there were size issues since one of the kits had its skin pulled off. It took her a while to recover after, too. Third time she lifted, but no babies appeared. The fourth time (now) she finally has some kits! They are about 2 weeks old now. She has pretty large litters...this time there were 9 or 10 and she managed to not kill 6. The only reason we have given her so many chances, and are considering letting her try again, is because of how expensive she was. That was a mistake.... :x We also have a Rex doe that we got for MUCH less from a small breeder that has yet to kindle. Her first breeding missed...and hopefully this time she takes...and does the momma thing right!

We haven't bought pellets since last fall....and I think the rabbits taste better on more natural feed. It is more difficult than feeding pellets though, making sure they get a good variety of foods, and making transitions slowly, and not forgetting the salt! We struggled with finding good hay over the winter....either it was moldy, or mostly Queen Anne's Lace. :angry: So frustrating; especially when you are paying for second cutting! I haven't lost any rabbits to food issues, though we have had a couple close calls. I am struggling with keeping the does in condition while nursing though...

Our freezer is full of rabbit....so now we eat rabbit more than we eat any other one kind of meat. I'm learning to be versatile in cooking with it! Unfortunately we haven't tanned the hides...I only did one. When the Rex furs start coming in, hopefully my husband tries tanning them....I'm doing far too many other things... (I have large piles of raw wool waiting to be washed, combed and spun, fabric waiting to be turned into clothing, and of course the essentials...rabbit care, dishes, laundry, house upkeep, garden, and babies :) )

Good to hear from you, Bikegurl! I'm happy Dovetuft is still working out for you. I'm sure the rex will eventually produce does just as nice, eventually. :) Just keep growing those doelings out, and cull hard until you get there. :)

Latest posts

Back