Running Out of Time When Butchering

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JudyM

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I have 8 bunnies to harvest, hopefully this weekend but with father's day, I don't know... Can I kill, drain and ice them rather than including skinning them on the same day? Sorry, it's probably a stupid question but part of me wants to put them out of their misery too. It's so freakin' hot!
(Is there a better word than kill?)

Sure you can. It's kind of an extra step, therefore, extra work but a lot of meat is aged "hide on". We routinely age deer, "hide on" for 3 -5 days (weather permitting) and the meat is greatly improved.

I agree on the more sensitive terminology of "harvest" and "pens" vs kill and cage but I think it is incredibley sad that we have to hide the reality of meat production from people who buy their meats in the local Kroger/Food Lion stores (where no animals were harmed). In other words, why should we be forced to communicate on their level of stupidity .... oh that's right - because we must never, ever, ever OFFEND anyone, especially for something as irrelevant as food production. :?

JudyM":nlf67rlj said:
Oh good! Just to be clear - the insides stay inside?
Oh my, No! Should have been more clear. Our deer are always field dressed. All entrails should be removed immediately after death.

Latest posts

Back