What would you do?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently sold a pair of rabbits to a young (late teens) boyfriend and girlfriend couple. The rabbits where 10 and 14 weeks old. I got a text about a week after they left saying the doe and died. Then a few days after that the male had also died. All of the other people who had gotten rabbits from this same litters where sending me pictures of how well the rabbits were doing with new "family photos" and such. So I knew since the others where doing fine there had to be something off on there end. The gentleman (who was keeping them in his room in the typical plastic bottom and wire top cage) said that it seemed that they where having intestinal issues and the male had made a lot of noise and squealing during the night and when he got up that morning the buck as dead. I asked him to send a picture of the buck so I could see if the rabbit had broken something. Then I notice that the rabbit was sitting in a type of bedding that is like a paper/foam. I wondered if that rabbits where eating it causing them to get blocked up and die. I decided to replace the doe but not the buck and only once he could have them in a cage where they are off the bedding or use a wood pellet used for horse stalls. Just wondering what others would do. I want to make things right but there cant be something wrong with both rabbits from two different litters. It has to be something on his end.

I agree with you, Leah. I'm not sure I would replace either of the rabbits, but I understand you want to be nice. Maybe those people should join RabbitTalk and learn proper rabbit care before they think about getting another rabbit.

I also agree there must be something going on on their end, which would make me quite nervous to replace rabbits for them.

Try not to judge to harshly though, since there are many things that could trigger fatal digestive issues, from something as simple as excess stress due to situations that buns are unfamiliar with (loud music, other pets?, to feeding too many greens or fruits if the buns are unaccustomed to such.

Also, rabbits can and often do start breeding at those ages..A shared small pen could be dangerous for the buck, and the litter.

There is some small animal bedding, carefree or carefresh...cannot remember off the top of my head. That looks like multicolor paper. I've also seen people try to use packing peanuts o_O It does sound like an issue on their end, but as said so many things can go wrong.

If I were you, I'd ask some questions about the bedding, if they were caged together, what they'd been eating, and how they'd been getting water. I would also ask if it was possible for them to chew on any furniture. I once had a lady call me, very upset, after purchasing an 8 week old ND. She'd let her out and she'd taken a few bites from her husbands new chair...which had been fire retardant treated. There was nothing that could be done for her, and I was very sorry for her so offered to give her another rabbit when I had more babies...the lady never did get another ND but she did about a year later get a HL...which was ok. They kept him very supervised and as far as I know have not had any issues.

If you get a strange feeling, and you can, you may feel better offering a cash return. I hold that option in case I just can't quite get over feeling this is a very bad idea or some thing just doesn't add up with what I'm told. That way, person is happy with money back, no more rabbits sent over, and no possibility of another death with that particular person.

Some times, things just don't work.

I've used the paper carefresh type bedding before for rabbits that weren't feeling well. I can't imagine any rabbit would eat a significant amount. I think it is way more likely that they were feeding them something they shouldn't have.

I use shredded up amazon box's. My rabbits chew on it a bit occasionally but they seem to enjoy pushing it around and tearing up the shreds more. Plus it makes for easy clean-up imho. I would ask what type of bedding he used, What kinds of fruits/veggies they've had including treats and pellets.. But that's just me... I'd look into everything he can remember they've been gave and see if any of it could be the culprit, if it's not, I'd offer to replace the bunny and give them care info sheet like a7736100 said, or even better tell them about rabbit talk.

Back