Kits dying! Is it the heat?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ddpittman

Reaction score
We live in Central Florida, & after 2 successful 1st ever spring breedings, we bred again in May. We bred 4 different does. 3 experienced Moms & one nearby. Without giving every Bunny's history & boring you to death, we have had disaster after disaster. One doe was late & ruptured & died during kindling. Other kits have basically died one after the other during the 1st week to as late as 2 weeks. They are fat & wiggly in the a.m & dead in the evening. Or vice versa. Some have diarrhea at their vents, some don't. They usually aren't in a pile in the box like our previous successful litters. We have one singleton survivor from one doe & one left from another. The last kit is only about a week old. So, is it too hot (over 90)? We put ice packs in the hutches. What can we do? Thanks!

In over 90 degree temps outside, I wouldn't be breeding especially if they are in the sunlight. Does get hotter when they are pregnant/kindle. So it's easy to over heat. I would stop until it gets cooler or run some fans with mist *I've heard it helps with cooling* If you have any survivors I'd put them with one mom and bring them in throughout the day and just leave them out over night for mom to nurse.

Hi,

about what you can do somewhat depends on how your setup looks like.

Last year I shielded the rabbitry from the sun with white plastic sheets, about 30cm above the roof and hutches so that hot air can move out. I also hung some wet bedsheets close to the hutches and kept them wet during the hottest days.

When kits get too hot they wiggle away from each other, I would put a cold water bottle into one corner of the nestbox so they can get there if they want. This year I plan to use big, flat stones for the does to rest on, and old metal jerry cans filled with cold water for the does to lie on.

I have raised kits in some hot and humid weather, but a lot of it will depend on the set up - 90* in the sun is one thing, but under trees it is totally different. I have seen the stark difference in my set ups and on hot days save the rabbits for last b/c the trees offer such a reprieve from the heat.

I would think the adults would be having more issues with the heat than the kits. I know I have had does struggle with kindling and attributed it to the heat, but even when it cooled down they had issues so it's hard to say.

If you are in Florida the mist won't help much - it's likely too humid. Fans do help wonders. I kept mine going all last summer, but the trees have grown over the hutches enough to not need them this year. They will move to the front of the cage to catch the air flow. Frozen water bottles work wonders as well (don't use anything with chemicals or that you want to keep long term - they can easily chew through the plastic).

What are you feeding? Any recent changes?

The heat could certainly be a factor, but if you are seeing diarrhea in nursing kits, I've heard that there is a chance it could be coccidiosis. I have no personal experience of this, just passing along what other people have said.

Thanks for all the advice. It is really helpful. I am going to try one more summer breeding & bring the kits inside during the day. If the bucks have anything left that is. We give them ice bottles every day & my son is down right now changing out the hot water for ice water. They have shade. Fans are the next thing, I think. We just have to figure how to rig them up so no one gets electrocuted in the everyday rain. I will definitely check out coccidiosis. We have made no feed changes. Must be the heat. I have read so much about how warm the kits have to be that I wasn't sure. This is my first post and you all have been great!

You beat me to this post! Sounds like you already figured out everything I was going to say. :lol:

The last kit is only about a week old.

I've seen others mention yucky yellow diahrea in association with overheated kits.
It stood out to me as it was occurring at ages where one rarely sees any feces at all, and if they do it's usually tiny hard balls. Cocci exposure really shouldn't be too much an issue until after they leave the nest.

With the humidity in florida, the 90 f is much more dangerous to rabbits than 90 f in a dryer climate.
If they were my kits, I pull the nestboxes and keep them inside for the first two weeks, and then provide the supplementary ice bottles as they age, or fans(not misters), or else probably just avoid breeding in the worst of the summer heat.

Zass":2skrobhg said:
I've seen others mention yucky yellow diahrea in association with overheated kits.
It stood out to me as it was occurring at ages where one rarely sees any feces at all, and if they do it's usually tiny hard balls. Cocci exposure really shouldn't be too much an issue until after they leave the nest.
Thanks for your input on this, Zass. I don't remember hearing about kit diarrhea being heat related, but since extreme heat is rarely an issue here, I may just not have retained that piece of important information.

MaggieJ":kxvqd5k7 said:
Zass":kxvqd5k7 said:
Thanks for your input on this, Zass. I don't remember hearing about kit diarrhea being heat related, but since extreme heat is rarely an issue here, I may just not have retained that piece of important information.

It's been on facebook that I was seeing it of late. I'm still not sure what to make of it, since extreme heat is rare here too. I've never seen the like of it in my own babies.
Hmm, but..
I wonder if the babies could be ingesting moldy nestbox hay? I know they start nibbling on that stuff well before their eyes open. Here in PA, during the worst of summer heat and humidity, I've seen mold in the j-feeders after only three days.

Moldy hay could be an issue... humidity is brutal. We had an 87* day with low humidity and it was surprisingly nice out! Throw in humidity and I can't even breathe... it's almost suffocating.

I was going back and forth with heat and diarrhea trying to decide if one would cause the other - but I have seen some people get really sick when dehydrated after being out in the heat all day.

Latest posts

Back