kudzu vs. poison ivy??

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I had no idea how similar they looked! Any sure fire ways to tell them apart? So far what I am finding via good 'ol Google isn't helping (but that could be the Nyquil kicking in :lol: I just had to correct a few typos even in that one sentence :oops: ).

:lol:

I guessed poison ivy because I have noticed myself that it is difficult to tell the two apart. Both tend to have three leaflets, and these can vary in shape from "entire" (just plain leaf shape, no lobes or serrations or anything) to mitten-shaped, to deeply lobed.

:shrug:

Yeah, the websites I was looking at made it sound so easy, but I couldn't tell a difference. I guess kudzu is supposed to be rounder, and poison ivy pointed? Now I wonder which it was that I was cutting out of the trees?? HUGE base vines that had been there long enough for the tree bark to grow over them.

Kudzu has rounded mitten shaped leaves. Poison ivy has oval leaves with jagged edges. Kudzu will also generally have larger leaves and it has hairy stems. Poison ivy stems are smooth although, when climbing a tree the woody stem will have alot of little roots comming off it.

Kudzu blooms are purple and smell exactly like grape bubble gum :lol:. It will produce bean pods. Poison ivy will produce white berries.

Poison Ivy

s040515_egj.jpg

poisonivyberries1.jpg

poison-ivy-oak-sumac-2.jpg

Kudzu

3576404599_4b3978349a.jpg

1333896463_d08a2bdee1.jpg

pumolo-BJ.jpg

Miss M":2wybrkvh said:
That's what I read, but the photos on this site: http://www.namethatplant.net/gallery_co ... 0with%20it show entire and lobed kudzu leaflets that are quite pointed.

Apparently, kudzu will have bean vine tendrils.

This is a good picture of them growing together, but they don't always look so different: https://www.flickr.com/photos/blueridge ... 485735513/

That first site is the one I was looking at last night that had me utterly confused :lol:

I need to investigate the vines in the yard a little more... I know we have poison ivy b/c DH gets it every time he works in the brush, but now I am wondering if that's all we have or if there is some kudzu mixed in as well. I would love to figure it out so I could feed it to the rabbits! <br /><br /> __________ Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:59 am __________ <br /><br /> I have seen the white berries many times, but the purple flowers don't look at all familiar. Darn! I was hoping that maybe, just maybe, we weren't quite as inundated with poison ivy...

Just a reminder to everyone to be very careful when burning brush that might contain poison ivy.

When I was twenty, I was inadvertently exposed to smoke from a campfire that apparently contained some dormant poison ivy plants. It was dusk when we built the fire and it was hard to see what twigs etc. we were gathering. A few days later, my whole body broke out in huge blisters and I was in agony for about three weeks.

I still have the scars, though mercifully they faded after a few years. I was very fortunate that the rash stopped short of my face.

MaggieJ":rozm51wp said:
Just a reminder to everyone to be very careful when burning brush that might contain poison ivy.

When I was twenty, I was inadvertently exposed to smoke from a campfire that apparently contained some dormant poison ivy plants. It was dusk when we built the fire and it was hard to see what twigs etc. we were gathering. A few days later, my whole body broke out in huge blisters and I was in agony for about three weeks.

I still have the scars, though mercifully they faded after a few years. I was very fortunate that the rash stopped short of my face.

I grew up hearing that warning - evidently my great grandmother was horribly allergic and had to be hospitalized after my great grandfather burned some in a bonfire. I have heard similar stories from others as well! It's nasty nasty stuff!

Miss M":10odd21w said:
Yikes, Maggie!!! :eek: I had heard about burning and poison ivy, but not anyone's actual experience.
Yeah, it was bad. And there was pain as well as itching. That's why I warn people from time to time. Nobody needs that kind of an experience.

Latest posts

Back