QC & Ontario Show Questions / help!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MegMTL

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm interested in showing but am curious how it works if there are only a couple of shows in your area per year?

I just got 3 American Chinchilla Kits 8 weeks old and there's one ARBA show this weekend in Ormstown. I think there may be one more show near me this summer but that's it.

I am a veteran Hunter/Jumper show rider and with horses you must show in your "league" (local, provincial or national) to gain points. Those who gain top points qualify for the Royal in Toronto. Is it similar for the rabbits? I know there are livestock at the Royal so?

Also if my rabbits do not have tattoos, am I supposed to tattoo them myself? They also did not come with papers, so I know they can't win grand champion or anything. I'm hoping to show them and breed them so that the great grand kits will have papers and can be registered.

Is this even possible? TIA!!!! <br /><br /> __________ Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:01 am __________ <br /><br /> rabbit1.jpgI should add that the kits did come from a lady who was a registered breeder a few years back but has scaled down and no longer shows. So the rabbits are from good lines and are very beautiful just not papered or registered.

So you would enter in open shows. Which is basically anything that's not youth.

Yes, they need to be tattooed in order to show in ARBA shows. Often there are people at the shows who are will to do that for you.

I know there is a big ARBA show in Spencerville, Quebec, in September as well.
I suggest going through Facebook if you have it to do most of your show searching.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/lapinsduquebec/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/ontariorabbitcavy/
Here are two good places to start. A lot of shows will have a buy/sell group for the specific show.

You can also look at joining DRCBA, which has shows (though most are in Western Ontario :'( ) You are in a good position to look at shows in New York and Vermont as well, you don't need any paperwork or anything to take rabbits across the border so it's quite simple.
http://www.drcba.ca/
I'm not sure but there has to be a club for Quebec rabbit breeders as well, maybe some help will be in the first Facebook group I linked.

your rabbits do not need to be pedigreed to show them.
What is being judged is the rabbit NOT the pedigree.

You won't be able to register them and claim any legs to a title, but you can show them.

MegMTL":2esuf4iz said:
I am a veteran Hunter/Jumper show rider and with horses you must show in your "league" (local, provincial or national) to gain points. Those who gain top points qualify for the Royal in Toronto. Is it similar for the rabbits? I know there are livestock at the Royal so?

Not sure how the Royal work, but at most ARBA shows, you can enter without being a member of ARBA. There are no leagues but there are breed specialty clubs, and sometimes state or regional clubs, that track sweepstakes points and recognize top breeders with various awards. I have never heard of a show that requires a rabbit to place at a previous level in order to qualify.

Also if my rabbits do not have tattoos, am I supposed to tattoo them myself?

You can tattoo them yourself or you may be able to find someone that can tattoo them for you. There is often someone set up at shows that will tattoo for a few dollars. You also may be able to find a local breeder that would be willing to tattoo before the show, which may be less stressful for both you and your rabbits.

They also did not come with papers, so I know they can't win grand champion or anything. I'm hoping to show them and breed them so that the great grand kits will have papers and can be registered.

Rabbits may earn legs towards their Grand Champion status by placing highly at a show. Once a rabbit has been registered and earned at least three legs (one being a senior leg), ARBA members may apply for a Grand Champion certificate. The complete pedigree is required to register a rabbit, which is a step before granding. Some people wait until a rabbit has earned their legs and register and grand at the same time. Be sure to keep complete records, including adult weights, if you want to register the offspring in future generations.

Good luck with your new breed and at the shows! Rabbit people are a fun group! I hope you enjoy it as much as our family has!!!

fhjmom":3bht3ipk said:
You can tattoo them yourself or you may be able to find someone that can tattoo them for you. There is often someone set up at shows that will tattoo for a few dollars.

I've always wondered, if you have someone tattoo at the show, are you allowed to enter that rabbit the same day? I've always assumed no since the tattoo would still be inked over, but I know a lot of people who have theirs tattooed at the show, so now I'm curious if you're allowed to also enter the newly tattooed rabbits?

Winterwolf":3vg8dhh4 said:
fhjmom":3vg8dhh4 said:
You can tattoo them yourself or you may be able to find someone that can tattoo them for you. There is often someone set up at shows that will tattoo for a few dollars.

I've always wondered, if you have someone tattoo at the show, are you allowed to enter that rabbit the same day? I've always assumed no since the tattoo would still be inked over, but I know a lot of people who have theirs tattooed at the show, so now I'm curious if you're allowed to also enter the newly tattooed rabbits?

We use a pen-type tattoo system and have tattooed the morning of shows with it. The tattoo is immediately legible.

We use a pen-type tattoo system and have tattooed the morning of shows with it. The tattoo is immediately legible.

Ah, that makes sense. I was picturing tattoo clamps like mine, where you leave the ink spread over the tattoo for awhile afterwards. Looks like I'll have to invest in a KBtatts pen. Thanks for the help! :)

Thank you! I will look into having them done by a breeder or at a show this summer. I will also look at those FB groups! :D

Back