Register

Pastruella.. Snuffles, sniffles and heartbreak..

A place to vent about what's bugging you. Please keep it civil.
8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 688.00

Pastruella.. Snuffles, sniffles and heartbreak..

Post Number:#1  Unread postby OnTheBrightside » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:26 pm

Last month I finally brought home the sable rex replacements from when my herd was destroyed by loose dogs fall of '15.
I had only three pet rabbits in my barn at the time. I brought three more home, and chose not to quarantine. Mostly because I didn't have anywhere to do so currently. God.. Do I regret it.

One doe had slight sneezes the week after I brought her home. I thought it might be the hay, since she is in the only solid-bottom cage I have and has hay as bedding. I switched her. More sneezes, tons of white snot. Brought her inside, in the ac. Sneezed for 2 minutes consecutively last night. Today during the first 3 minutes of doing chores in the rabbitry all but one of my rabbits was sneezing. Two have matted front paws but haven't seen snot on noses yet.

I am utterly heartbroken, and have been crying for the past two days on and off. I have a feeling I'm going to have to cull everyone now. Right when I just got started again. Two of my does are due in a week and a half, definatley pregnant.

Is there any chance this is anything other than Pasturella? I am so desperate for hope. I have become so attached to all these babies in the few weeks I've had them. They are such nice quality and have such sweet personalities. I was so hoping that they would be a great re-start to getting fully back into my breeding program. But now... I am defeated, once again. :cry:

*** Just wanted to add that the breeder said that they all had the bunnyvac thing.. I'm not familiar with it. But I am so confused. I have had all my other rabbits for over a year and all very healthy until now. Its just me and my boyfriend that enter the rabbitry, and neither of us have had any contact with other rabbits.
Sugar Maples Rabbitry

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Canada
BunnyBucks: 515.00

Re: Pastruella.. Snuffles, sniffles and heartbreak..

Post Number:#2  Unread postby Olimpia » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:31 pm

Ahh I'm so sorry :(
I don't know if it could be anything else.
You could be able to save the babies though, I've heard that people will do that.

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 34,316.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby ladysown » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:34 pm

the two pregnant ones...isolate them.

Then when the babes are 3.5 weeks old.. REMOVE THEM into a clean, sterile cages. Cull anything with snot (from the mothers)

now, set back and watch those babies.

SOMETIMES babies are protected by the immunity in the mothers milk. Early weaning keeps them within that immunity, putting them in a clean cage with no bugs around them helps.

all that said.. I am SO SORRY you are needing to deal with this. IT JUST BITES.

But seriously...the snot.. just take the short road and cull. It hurts I know.. but see how those babies do for you.

Supportive care for early weaning
1. HAY.
2. oatmeal mixed in with pellets
3. plain ordinary grass.. no dandelions or other additions, just basic ordinary grass. After the second week you can add other stuff SLOWLY.. VERY SLOWLY into the diet.
4. for those that struggle .. probiotics... I've successfully used kitten probiotics... mixed in with the oatmeal.
ladysown

http://athomepets.weebly.com/
Primary Blog : http://athomepets.weebly.com/at-home-pets-blog.html
Old Blog: blogs/athomepets/

The following user would like to thank ladysown for this post
OnTheBrightside

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 688.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby OnTheBrightside » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:43 pm

Unfortunately the babies, will just be fox food, even if they make it they are not from the sable lines. They are "mutt" rex that I just kept because they are too sweet.. just pets. Thanks for the advice. I have been working so hard to save up and get more. I feel like this past year has just been a muddle of horrible happenings. I have heard different answers to this; but would the meat be safe for pets to eat? I have 3 foxes and they eat raw. I would be even more distraught to just have to let them all rot for no reason. No matter how hard it is in general.
Sugar Maples Rabbitry

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Female
BunnyBucks: 1,040.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby fhjmom » Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:20 am

I would consider doing a culture to make sure you know what you are dealing with. We have had a local vet culture before and it turned out not to be Pasturella. I do believe the lab that produces the BunnyVac vaccine will also test cultures. You might contact them and ask at least. http://pavlab.com/pavlab/bunnyvac/
Tamara :)
Backstage Rabbitry
http://www.backstagerabbitry.com

United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 48,829.00

Post Number:#6  Unread postby skysthelimit » Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:53 am

Just for an FYI, a friend having similar problems had a culture done is was bordetella. I've noticed a lot o sneezing rabbits coming out of angora lines, the have the occasional snot but look and grow just fine. They were way too healthy except for the sneezing and occasional snot, and the Bordetella seems to fit the description.

__________Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:53 am __________

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Respirator ... al/URI.htm
German Shepherds*Rush Hour Rabbitry*Rex *Jersey Wooly*French Angora
http://www.foursquaremicrofarm.us